E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
I know this thread is two years old but can I ask a question without offending anyone? Why on earth would anyone replace a bearing that only lasted 100k miles with the same brand of bearing? This is the day of 200k mile vehicles. I have a ford truck 4WD truck that the preferred wheel bearing is Timken! People get way too nuts with OEM stuff. I know these are the parts that all the durability testing is done with but sometimes other makers can do just as well. Just don't buy some $20 bearing off ebay!
True enough, the tapered roller bearings could theoretically last forever, provided they are correctly installed. When the grease seals fail and allow grease to leak out and contaminants into the bearing, this spells premature failure for the bearing. Those living in the rust belt with vast annual fluctuations in temperature will see accelerated wear of the seals and, therefore, bearing failure. A seized brake caliper can also cook the seals and spell an early doom for wheel bearings. Whenever possible, I always replace the inboard seals when replacing half shafts -- no such luck with the sealed bearings on the e46.

If there's no play in the wheel, you should be fine for a little while. Good luck.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.