E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I know this thread is two years old but can I ask a question without offending anyone? Why on earth would anyone replace a bearing that only lasted 100k miles with the same brand of bearing? This is the day of 200k mile vehicles. I have a ford truck 4WD truck that the preferred wheel bearing is Timken! People get way too nuts with OEM stuff. I know these are the parts that all the durability testing is done with but sometimes other makers can do just as well. Just don't buy some $20 bearing off ebay!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just made a big boo-boo. I replaced a lower control arm on the front of my 01 325xi back in January. My daughter was driving home last night and told me at 9 PM that there was something wrong so it shook over 45 MPH. I checked it out and sure enough it did. The front bolts had come loose on lower arm I installed. I now fear that this violent shaking has caused my 100k on the edge of life wheel bearings to fail. I switched tires on the right first with no improvement. Now I hope the bearing will stay together until I gather all the parts and tools I need to change it. The car is driven by a 20 year old daughter that can't seem to sit still. ( College, work, boyfriend, volunteer work etc )

·
Registered
3 Posts
ugggh! I switched to summer tires and left the driver side tires loose. I heard the noise on the test drive and switched the passenger side tires front to rear. (recall the lower right front control arm had come loose). My daughter came walking in the house saturday with a lug bolt in her hand. OMG I almost wrecked my 325xi with my daughter in it! I tightened them and when the weather is better and I no longer have this killer sinus cold I will check to see how bad I messed up the back of the wheels. I have new bearings on the way but I will have time to put them in. Ended up with *** bearings. The best deal out there. thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.