E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
I replaced the brakes on my wife's car last year but didn't think to test the bearings.

Recently, my wife has been complaining of noise when she's turning and it's usually when she's turning at very low speeds, like in a parking lot. I was backing out of the driveway the other day and didn't hear the noise (sounds like a low pitched growl) until I began turning the wheels. Backing out straight, nothing. Backing while turning, noise.

Could this be a bad wheel bearing?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I replaced the brakes on my wife's car last year but didn't think to test the bearings.

Recently, my wife has been complaining of noise when she's turning and it's usually when she's turning at very low speeds, like in a parking lot. I was backing out of the driveway the other day and didn't hear the noise (sounds like a low pitched growl) until I began turning the wheels. Backing out straight, nothing. Backing while turning, noise.

Could this be a bad wheel bearing?
:bump:

I still haven't checked it yet, but if the wheel bearing is bad, wouldn't it most likely make the same noise while rolling straight instead of just while turning the wheel or are there different forces acting on the bearing while turning?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Wheel bearings were fine. It was an empty PS reservoir instead.

While I was in the wheel well looking at everything, I noticed a drop of fluid hanging from a boot. I popped the hood and checked the PS reservoir and it was as empty as last year's bird nest. D'oh!

·
Registered
146 Posts
Definitely, thanks for the heads up. My daughter's car has 190k on it and although there are no obvious signs (to me) that her wheel bearings are bad or going bad, I want to change them out before she starts her daily commute to school in the fall.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.