E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a low groaning type of noise at low speed which I think is coming from a wheel bearing. I've jacked up both ends and spun each wheel, but I can't really hear where it's coming from. Anyone know any tricks to identify where the noise is coming from short of going to a shop? The noise is most pronounced at about 20 mph. There is no change when turining either direction, so maybe a back wheel? Unfortunately, I can't tell which end it's coming from when driving...I thought it was from the front, my wife thought it was from the back??? :dunno:

·
Registered
324 Posts
barcalude said:
I've got a low groaning type of noise at low speed which I think is coming from a wheel bearing. I've jacked up both ends and spun each wheel, but I can't really hear where it's coming from. Anyone know any tricks to identify where the noise is coming from short of going to a shop? The noise is most pronounced at about 20 mph. There is no change when turining either direction, so maybe a back wheel? Unfortunately, I can't tell which end it's coming from when driving...I thought it was from the front, my wife thought it was from the back??? :dunno:
Go for a drive on the freeway for 15min or so. The alloy wheel with the bad bearing will most likely feel warmer to the touch compared to the other wheels.

·
Banned
124 Posts
If you put your car on jacks with the wheel suspended in the air and you turn the wheel while touching the rear control arm or around where the bearing is then you could tell if it is worn or not. Usually if it is still good it will not make any noise or slight vibration at all, it will be very smooth. However, if it has gone bad you should hear a noise like small sand/rocks are turning around.

Test both side to see if you can see a difference then it should be really obvious if you have a bad one or not.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the advice...tried both and tried with the rear jacked up and in gear at 20 mph (where the noise is worst), still no luck. I'm leaning back to bad tires; the fronts (continental sport contac) are scalloped on the outer edge.

·
Registered
58 Posts
The Continentals in my car were so noisy that I also thought I had bearing, or rotor problems. Replaced all rotors, noise was still there. Drove me crazy. Did some experimenting with the spare tire on and off, which was not worn, and this led me to believe that the problem was the tires. Replaced the rear tires, most of the noise went away, 2 months later replaced the front tires, and all "metal to metal" grinding noise went away. Amazing, but the noise seems to come from the steel belts rubbbing against each other. :thumbup:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts