BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gary, I got a new set of Pirelli PZero AS.
The Pirellis seem to have a bit of the Continental-sport thing where they seem to get a "flat spot" after sitting for a while. It feels odd when I first take off before the tires warm up. It feels like there is a slight shimmy/vibration until the tires warm and then they are fine.

The other main issue I have is that all the wheels/tires took small amounts of weight to balance except for the right rear. They used 2 1/4oz, which seems excessive to me. I saw that after I got home. I should have looked before I left but it took them forever to change over the tires because the guy mounted the "inner" and "outer" wrong and discovered that after balancing, so he had to do it over again. Do you think over 1oz of balance weight it too much? I think he should have rotated the tire on the rim and tried a rebalance to see if he could get a better fit and balance. The odd vibration on cold tires seem to be coming from that right rear tire. And, this morning on the way to work I hit over 80mph for the first time since I got the new tires and there was a vibration that started that was NOT there with the conti-sport contacts. With the OEM tires I could hit over 100mph with no perceptible vibration.

What are you thoughts and suggestions?
I am planning to take it in and have them rebalance the tires and possibly rotate the right rear on it's rim to get a better setup.

TT

·
Registered
6,617 Posts
Sounds like you may want to have him turn the tire on the wheel to get a better balance. Better yet, if they have a Hunter Road force balancer, have them use this machine.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, over 1oz is too much weight on a new tire?

Do you guys have the Hunter Road force balancer at the Tire Rack?

Thanks.

TT

·
Registered
438 Posts
SST said:
So, over 1oz is too much weight on a new tire?

Do you guys have the Hunter Road force balancer at the Tire Rack?

Thanks.

TT

I don't think 1 oz is too much . . . some tires require more weights then others . . . I've had about 7 sets of wheels in the last 10 months and there were quite a few in that bunch that used 2 oz and sometimes more on one wheel . . .

Most of my wheels were balanced on the Hunter 9700 and the mechanic who does the work is very experienced and knows his wheels & tires very well.

My biggest concern has been that the wheels don't vibrate and as long as the hunter machine balances them out correctly and they are smooth, then I am a happy customer and could care less how many wheel weights needed to be put on.

One more thing, you can have the mechanic try and turn the tire to fit the wheel better with less weights but the tire mounters always end up scratching the wheel when they mount and dismount tires . . . I think your better off with 2 ounces of weight then taking the chance and having a scratched rim plus there is no guarentee the wheel still won't take over 2 ounces of weights

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, that's my concern too. They scratched every single one of them.
The thing is, the tire manufacturer provide a "match mount" dot.
Most of these tire guys don't even bother starting there as a reference point.

I don't think 1oz is too much either, but I have my concerns when it's over 2oz. At that point, they do need to turn that tire on the rim and try again.
If they were FU*KING careful, like they should, there shouldn't be a problem with that. NO, these guys use metal bars right on the rim instead of putting a towel or something in between the rim surface and the tools.
It's simple carelessness.

The problem now is that they have to remount the tire because it is causing a vibration. I'm going to make sure they use extreme care to not add any more scratches and gouge more paint.

Thanks for your input.

TT

1 - 5 of 5 Posts