E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Wagon Man said:
I reacl reading some post lately that it is some "secondary ??? pump" (I forgot)..

Let the experts chime in...

I think it's a smog pump, pumps air into the catalytic converter to further burn the exhaust.

·
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TwoTimingPrick said:
who is your daddy and what does he do?
:rofl:

i need to be really sure what thats called, my POS body shop broke it and i need to claim that piece to be repaired/replaced and i want to sound like i know what im talking about. ;)

i need someone to confirm it 100%

thanx

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
kyoko said:
secondary air pump
Bingo , its called a secondary air injection pump . Its supplys air down stream to the CAT when the car is in Open Loop , so it warms up the CAT . It stay on I beleave for about 20 to 30 seconds .
If the PUMP is loose then you just change the mounts on the bottom its probably broke from the mounts , check it first .
Those mounts are only like .75 cents . so its not worth the headache of arguing with these guys.
Let me know whats the outcome.

·
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
m3cabrio said:
Bingo , its called a secondary air injection pump . Its supplys air down stream to the CAT when the car is in Open Loop , so it warms up the CAT . It stay on I beleave for about 20 to 30 seconds .
If the PUMP is loose then you just change the mounts on the bottom its probably broke from the mounts , check it first .
Those mounts are only like .75 cents . so its not worth the headache of arguing with these guys.
Let me know whats the outcome.

dude thats exactly what happend they cracked the mounts. thats one of the many things the POS bodyshop did (recommended by All State) im building my case against them and im taking to the dealer on monday. I should have taken it to BMW in the first place - lesson learned :(

thanx guys :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
MIAMITOPAZ said:
dude thats exactly what happend they cracked the mounts. thats one of the many things the POS bodyshop did (recommended by All State) im building my case against them and im taking to the dealer on monday. I should have taken it to BMW in the first place - lesson learned :(
True , I have a question ? Or maybe three questions. J/K
Did your car get hit in the front pas side or somewhere else .
How many miles does your car have ?
Do you want to make a big deal out of something so small that is going to take maybe a day having to deal with both the dealer and this bodyshop , when you can fix it yourself for about 5 bucks in about ten minutes.
Its not a big deal to fix this problem. :thumbup:

·
Registered
296 Posts
MIAMITOPAZ said:

thanx guys :thumbup:
never never ever take your car to somewhere an insurance company wants you to take it, they want you to go there cuz it is cheap for them. you dont not have to go where they want, it is completly up to you where you take your car and they have to pay for it. never let them tell you other wise.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
xiaonjohn said:
never never ever take your car to somewhere an insurance company wants you to take it, they want you to go there cuz it is cheap for them. you dont not have to go where they want, it is completly up to you where you take your car and they have to pay for it. never let them tell you other wise.
True its called CIRCLE OF FRIENDS , what it really means is that they have an agreement with these shops to charge the INS companys as cheap as possible so that they get continous bus for giving them (the insurance companys) a good deal.
The person who suffers from the bad work and cheap labor is people like US the customer..

·
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
m3cabrio said:
True , I have a question ? Or maybe three questions. J/K
Did your car get hit in the front pas side or somewhere else .
How many miles does your car have ?
Do you want to make a big deal out of something so small that is going to take maybe a day having to deal with both the dealer and this bodyshop , when you can fix it yourself for about 5 bucks in about ten minutes.
Its not a big deal to fix this problem. :thumbup:
i really hate what this POS bodyshop has put me thru. 6 weeks in the shop for mostly "cosmetic" damage is rediculous. i have a big list of sh!t thats broken and not right, worst one being i think my paint is off :eek:. i had filed a complaint with Allstate about the shop taking too long last week. 6 week the car should have being perfect. its going to the dealer first thing tuesday after im done taking pictures and arranging everything with Allstate. and have the POS body shop pay for the dealer repair charges since they ****ed up. ( lets see how that one goes, it sound fair to me)

btw - the only reason i went to another body shop besides BMW is cause i have alot of aftermarket parts and i felt the dealer is not going to be able to repair/replace them or give me a hard time about it and allstate gave my lifetime guarantee on thier shop's repair -Well since "thier" shop fuked up they will have to take care of it.

·
Registered
296 Posts
MIAMITOPAZ said:
btw - the only reason i went to another body shop besides BMW is cause i have alot of aftermarket parts and i felt the dealer is not going to be able to repair/replace them or give me a hard time about it and allstate gave my lifetime guarantee on thier shop's repair -Well since "thier" shop fuked up they will have to take care of it.
i dont think i would even take it to bmw, they are not always that great either. i would just ask around and find a good reputable body shop. they will most likley be better then the dealer.

·
Registered
181 Posts
My Service Engine Soon light came on last winter, and dealer replaced the that secondary air pump for me. I didn't know what it was then. now I kind of get the picture.

·
Registered
681 Posts
Flux capacitor :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts