BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's getting colder here in the DC area and when the temp outside reaches 37 degrees my car beeps.

What's the significance?

·
needs a new sig...
4,820 Posts
bmw knows its temprature guage isnt that accurate so it beeps at 37 casue it maybe 32 out there on the ground

·
Registered
120 Posts
also, even if the temp really is 37 degrees outside, it may actually be colder on certain areas such as bridges, which tend to freeze over quicker than regular roads. nonetheless, it's nice to have a warning before roads actually do freeze.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,151 Posts
that is a warning to the driver

that their may be black ice on the road. usually when the weather goies below freezing that message will come on when you start your car. giving you the temp. outside. usually it it at the freezing temp. mark and below.
bobm3 ;) ;)

·
Dinan Pimp
1,132 Posts
bmw knows its temprature guage isnt that accurate so it beeps at 37 casue it maybe 32 out there on the ground
Generally speaking the ground is warmer than the air (for example snow doesn't always stick when it snows because the ground is warmer than the air.) Also in my experience the temperature gauge is VERY acurate. 99% of the time it's within 1 degree of the temperature as reported on the radio or the thermometer on my porch. :thumbup:

The beeping is actually extremely annoying. I live in Buffalo I know it's cold! Evertime I turn my car on for 4 months out of the year the dam car beeps at me. I'm still not use to it..when I hear my car beeping at me I'm looking to see what the hell is wrong with it. Can this feature be turned off? :banghead:

·
Registered
128 Posts
GarrettF said:
Actually It beeps at 37 because that is the temprature that ice can form on overpassses and bridges. I thas nothing to due with accuracy of the thermometer, in fact it is very accurate to within 1 degree 1+- while moving.

·
is baaaaaaaaaack...
1,127 Posts
tanium325 said:

Actually It beeps at 37 because that is the temprature that ice can form on overpassses and bridges. I thas nothing to due with accuracy of the thermometer, in fact it is very accurate to within 1 degree 1+- while moving.
:werd:

its just for bridges, its true that the ground is warmer than the air, except with bridges because they have the air moving underneath them. hence, the warning.

·
Registered
440 Posts
It's in the manual too I believe.

Also you wouldn't want your car to warn you when it is 32 degrees F would you? That's way too late. ;)

·
Big in Japan
1,359 Posts
You guys need a science refresher course! 37 is significant because it is cold enough where evaporative cooling of wet surfaces (especially bridges where there is no warmth from ground below) is enough to bring the surface water to 32 degrees and thus ice formation. In this scenario you only see black ice, which as anyone knows, is the most dangerous because road simply appears wet.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts