BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must be out of the loop or something or on the high end of the demographic in this forum, but I don't get this "concavity" thing with wheels. I think I understand that it's the way the wheels concave in towards the hub (like the CSLs) but I don't get the attraction of this.

I've narrowed down my new wheel options to the following (in no particular order):

1. BBS CH Silver
2. BBS RX Silver
3. Velocity CSL Hypberblack

All in an 18 fitment, which I think are big. That's another thing I don't understand and I'm sure this one is because I'm in my 40s, but how can 18s be too small. I think 19s are way too big. Of couse, I'm upgrading from 16 OEM Style 43 so it's a big jump, but all the pictures I see on the forum with 19s just look like the car is all wheels and no tire. I'm obviously in the minority here...

·
Registered
664 Posts
I like the concavity in wheels, it gives them that nice depth and they look real wide. I'm just above the mid 30s and think 18" is fine. Must be an age thing. :rofl:

·
Registered
1,594 Posts
That's another thing I don't understand and I'm sure this one is because I'm in my 40s, but how can 18s be too small...

I'm 24 and I agree with you. I think 19s would be nice, but 18s are more practical for most daily drivers. I, too, will probably go with 18" CSLs or BBSs. Cheaper wheels/tires, they're lighter, and they're more comfortable than 19s. It's still a large step up from OEM and they look good.

...I'm obviously in the minority here...
I don't know about you but I like to have my own opinion and to stand by it. :D

·
Registered
206 Posts
I agree on the 18's. With 19's, there's too much of a "4x4 effect". And the 18's generally ride better, don't damage as easily, etc. I think the fascination with concave wheels may be partly due to nostalgia for the pre-fwd days, when wide wheels had deep rims. As far as your choices go, I vote for BBS. I prefer the RS-GT myself, but I don't think you'd go wrong with any of those.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I'm gonna say go with the 18s for a DD. I just did a +1 to 18" CSLs and they look plenty big, especially if you have a drop.

·
Registered
943 Posts
I agree on the 18's. With 19's, there's too much of a "4x4 effect". And the 18's generally ride better, don't damage as easily, etc. I think the fascination with concave wheels may be partly due to nostalgia for the pre-fwd days, when wide wheels had deep rims. As far as your choices go, I vote for BBS. I prefer the RS-GT myself, but I don't think you'd go wrong with any of those.
:werd:

The whole "concave" and "deep dish" and "big lip" thing is because it helps the wheel look wider.

As you can tell from the wide range of styles, wheel mfgs recognize that some people like flat-face wheels, some crave convex wheels and some just have to have concave wheels.

Just make sure you get what you like. It's your sled, after all. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
:werd:

Just make sure you get what you like. It's your sled, after all. :thumbsup:
Couldn't agree with you more. The problem is that popular opinion tends to drive the selection that's available. Just look at the Wheel Classifieds on the forum, all you see are 19s with deep lips or are super wide (like 10") or are matte black (or those god-awful ones with the red trim) or have been chromed. Don't get me wrong, I'm not dis-ing anyone who has these mods, but this is what the market is dictating and that leaves the rest of us with few or expensive options. The only classically nice reps out there imho are the CSLs, but why can't someone make a nice rep (read cheap) of a BBS LX or CH. Cause the market for that is smaller than for the big, deep dish, chrome jobbies. Just cause we have BMWs doesn't mean we have endless resources for mods, so $2000 for a set of new BBSs is not an option for me, but one has to wait a while for the right used set to come up for sale.

·
Registered
147 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
i'm 24 bro and I too am disappointed in the selection on 18's. They are so much cheaper on tires and i believe perfect perfomancewise. However I like the low offset/dish effect. I don't see a need for anything bigger unless your sporting a BBK but I see no legitament reason for one on a non-m e46 unless its for eye candy.

·
Registered
10,774 Posts
18" i believe look great on E46's. 19" wheels might make the car look a bit 4x4 if it isnt lowered. Your car should ride fine with 18". As far as concavity, it gives the aggressive stance and look. And w/ CSL reps; concavity is everything! The real OEM CSL wheels are super concave and give that really wide stance as some people love.

[email protected]
www.vmrwheels.com

:yikes:

·
Registered
28,910 Posts
i love the concavity of my 19" staggered csls... in the rear, the wheel just looks soooooo good

1 - 13 of 13 Posts