E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
jk330i said:
cheapest way

CUT SPRINGS yo
Yep, but don't do it. Anyways, the cheapest realistic way is just to get some lowering springs. It'll be all good for a while but in short time your shocks will need replacing.

·
Registered
808 Posts
oh boy, do we have a lot smart a$$es here.

it's very simple...just have NO MORE than 5 psi of tire pressure. AND you'll have super low-profile tires too!:thumbup:

·
Registered
364 Posts
heh.... sheesh.. got all the good answers..
how about taking off ya wheels and rolling on ya brake rotors ?
corney ? ya ..i know..o well... :)

·
Registered
808 Posts
really though, get some Eibach springs. I heard that they won't wear out your shocks nearly as quick as the H&R sports. you can get them for around $210. installation will cost you about $100 tops. good luck!

·
can ya spare some change?
738 Posts
get a set of used lowering springs and install them yourself. $200 tops.

or...

You can go to Home Depot and buy a couple concrete blocks and a board. Bolt them to the board securely and place it in your trunk and front passenger seat.

Ok, I think I put a little thought into that 2nd one :lmao:

·
Registered
1,940 Posts
PowerDrift said:
You can go to Home Depot and buy a couple concrete blocks and a board. Bolt them to the board securely and place it in your trunk and front passenger seat.
huh? :loco:

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
If you mean cheap as in not getting sport shocks, then the best way is to lower the car with a very mild drop. Shock absorbers are also called dampers, b/c they dampen the forces induced from the bumps on the road. Without shocks your car would just oscillate up and down repeatedly after going over a bump. Lowering the car is usually done w/ a shorter spring w/ higher spring rate. This means the shock absorber is asked to dampen a given bump in a shorter time period and less suspension movement. The stock dampers are only designed to handle a certain level of force and will not dampen a lowered car adequately. Inadequate damping leads to bouncy ride in the short run and destroyed shocks in the long run.

You should get springs that doesn't lower the car much and has similar spring rates if you intend to keep the factory shocks. (UUC? H&R Sport?)

Or you can bite the bullet and opt for a set of high performance shocks (stock ones needs replacing sooner or later anyway) and lower the car a bit more if you desire.

·
The G.O.A.T. is Baccckkkkk!
3,455 Posts
Cheap - cut em
Economical - Springs
Got a lil extra cash - springs and shocks
Doin it right - Coilovers

·
Black and Proud
17,010 Posts
the original lowriders used to have bags of concrete mix in the trunk... which made the rear of the car nearly touch the ground...

you can stay true to the roots and use the same method.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts