BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
6,702 Posts
For OEM, ABS Plastic is king. but for aftermarket, PolyUrethane is the best. of course, there is always carbon fiber...the real deal...

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,794 Posts
Do you really think that CF is the best? Besides the weight savings and looks it is going to perform more or less like fiberglass. If you run into something CF is going to crack. I highly doubt that any aftermarket CF is autoclaved.

Tim

·
Registered
319 Posts
why do you say fiberglass is bad? Maybe if it's manufactured or designed poorly it's bad, but that isn't a very good generalization. I'm a design engineer and design fiberglass/SMC/RTM/etc body panels and structural parts for the auto industry---and fiberglass is not "bad" for A-surface parts.

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,794 Posts
I agree with Dre325 fiberglass can be just fine. The complaint that most people don't like about fiberglass for a kit is that it does not flex like a plastic. Bump into something and you could crack a fiberglass kit.

Tim

·
Registered
333 Posts
tim330i said:
Do you really think that CF is the best? Besides the weight savings and looks it is going to perform more or less like fiberglass. If you run into something CF is going to crack. I highly doubt that any aftermarket CF is autoclaved.

Tim
Carbon Fiber Reinforced Plastic :tongue:

Used by BMW on the M3 CSL

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
12,794 Posts
I am sure that BMW autoclaves their CF but i bet that ACS doesn't.

Tim

·
Registered
319 Posts
very true, you do loose flexibility when using glass (or carbon fiber)! Cracked bodykits with fibers sticking out would not be a good thing!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts