E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Manwhore
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious, but i have 19x8.5 all around now, and 235 all around... now if i went with just 255 in the rears, then what would that help? :dunno:

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
it would look cooler. Thats it. Or so i hear

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Harder to powerslide, more understeer, more acceleration traction....and what p0tpie said.

Chip-

·
Registered
491 Posts
Unless you want tire spin, i.e. dropping the clutch at high RPM's, the bigger thread in the rear is not needed.

I'd stick with 235's all around, but that's me.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
ya it basically looks cooler and more traction for everything unless you are in snow or ice which means less traction the wider you go. Also the wider you go in the rear, like someone said, it means more understeer/less oversteer which is why they staggered the tires after 95 on the M3s to keep idiots from oversteering and killing themselves.

·
call me kev :D
5,532 Posts
doubt most of you guys are going to track with your 19" so who cares about oversteer on everyday driving..

just go staggered for the look...

·
Registered
6,371 Posts
can you relaly tell if tires are bigger? i can tell if wheels are bigger. Thats cool cuz it'l have more dish

·
Registered
915 Posts
Pretty much all cosmetics.

The slight gain you *may* have can also be negated by the heavier wheel mass adding to a bit more sluggish responiveness.

Performance wise not much, just looks :D

·
Registered
296 Posts
If you want to go bigger for looks, IMO there is a huge difference between 235 and 255. Just wait til you see my 255 SO3's in person, WOW!

·
call me kev :D
5,532 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:

No, staggered setups HURT the handling, except in cars that are way overpowered.
bmw built our cars with understeer.. and i intend to keep it that way :D

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
e46boy said:
bmw built our cars with understeer.. and i intend to keep it that way :D
It's exactly b/c of people like you that modern Bimmers understeer from the factory. I did an alignment and took out most of the understeer as soon as I knew how.

·
Manwhore
2,517 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
IDLOOK2 said:
If you want to go bigger for looks, IMO there is a huge difference between 235 and 255. Just wait til you see my 255 SO3's in person, WOW!
yea i know, but i think i rather save money and keep 235 all around, that way i wont go through tires as much since i can rotate them :eeps: :thumbup:

And i have yet to see a reason to go wider in the rear :flipoff:

·
Registered
433 Posts
im not sure if you are joking when youre asking this question, but staggered means having a wider tire width in the back. i think it looks cool but i like being able to rotate tires to give me a little more time to buy new ones if needed

1 - 19 of 19 Posts