BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
351 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Afew weeks ago I was having terrible voltage problems. I got my battery tested and it was working fine so I figured it was the alternator. I purchased a new alternator from the dealership for about 316$ (CCA discount). Well last night my battery light came on for about 15 sec then went away for about 5 sec and repeated that. When that light came on a few weeks ago there was a noticeable difference of low voltage (radar, lights (int. and ext.), etc.). This time there was no noticeable difference. Is this just because of the temperatures around here? its been averaging about 20 degrees. Or does this just mean i need a new battery? :hmm:

·
Registered
598 Posts
Voltage gremlims like yours are hard to track down. You have high resistance somewhere but it could be more than grounds, e.g., even the ignition in the column can cause electrical problems.

If it were mine, I would clean and check the battery connections in the trunk, and if that didn't fix it, I would take the car to a mechanic. My reasoning: I can fix just about anything but if I can't diagnose it, I need a trained mechanic with all his expensive diagnostic tools.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts