BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
///Swinny
27,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would it sound like if i cut the stock resonators off and will it have any negative affects on my car.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I dunno about these cars, but my buddy has 3" of steel from the collector pipe to the tailpipe...500hp sounds fluffing fantastic

·
///Swinny
27,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dunno about these cars, but my buddy has 3" of steel from the collector pipe to the tailpipe...500hp sounds fluffing fantastic
If i had 500 HP i would prob have straight pipe

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
i have straight pipes on my ZHP........sounds gorgeous......sounds just as good as ///oss's 325 which just proves that str8 pipes are just pure sex lol......its cheap, easy and to me sounds better than any exaust

·
Registered
425 Posts
i have straight pipes on my ZHP........sounds gorgeous......sounds just as good as ///oss's 325 which just proves that str8 pipes are just pure sex lol......its cheap, easy and to me sounds better than any exaust
Got any sound clips? I wouldn't mind hearing what it sounds like.

·
Registered
28,946 Posts
if i were you, i would just save up and buy a real exhaust... if that isn't loud enough, then take off resonators

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
if i were you, i would just save up and buy a real exhaust... if that isn't loud enough, then take off resonators
:werd:

That's what I'd suggest, too. I've read a couple posts recently where people have removed one or both resonators on a stock exhaust with little to no change.

Maybe just remove one and go from there?:dunno:

·
Registered
28,946 Posts
:werd:

That's what I'd suggest, too. I've read a couple posts recently where people have removed one or both resonators on a stock exhaust with little to no change.

Maybe just remove one and go from there?:dunno:
exactly... the bottleneck of our exhaust systems is the muffler. Leaving that on and removing the resonators is just going to allow air to flow in a freer manner to that point and won't really increase anything.

OP, buy a sports exhaust (such as the Highline Tuning Exhaust set up from Jlevisw.com). Then, the bottleneck will be the resonators... if it isn't loud enough, chop those off as well (but that will be REALLY loud).

EDIT: another reason not to chop off your resonators with the oem exhaust is that it will be a pain in the ass to add them back on later. Say you take off both resonators, decide that isn't loud enough, and you add a sports exhaust. Then, after adding the sports exhaust, it is TOO loud (which it probably will be). At that point, you will have to collect your resonators from your garage, take it back to the shop, and have them reinstall the resonators with you new sports exhaust. Talk about a waste of time and a pain in the ass.

Just save up your money and buy a real exahust dude. I have found out time and time again that with BMWs, if you buy crap or cut corners, it shows.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts