BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
// Quandt AG (Retired) //
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Sold my e30 325iX today so I'm looking for a replacement car for winter driving. Been thinking about getting an e46 Xi since I have two other e46's and lots of parts and familiarity with the repairs.

Every vehicle I look at is an auto or steptronic. Did the Xi come as a 5-speed manual? (Won't ever buy an automatic car)

Edit: Should have also asked you guys what items to specifically look out for on a used E46 Xi. (Other than the normal e46 items i.e. Vanos, LCA, VCG etc)

·
Registered
171 Posts
Not sure I'd buy another xi- everything seems to be more expensive (brakes, control arms, etc..) Look at the cv boots (last about 60k miles) and ball joints (have to replace control arm if ball joints are bad $$)

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

·
Registered
187 Posts
Fellow Cdn(OP)....mine is a 5 speed....parts seem relatively cheap compared to my last bmw....i had an x5....brake parts for the fronts of the x5....cost the same for all 4 corners on the e46? heck thats alot cheaper!!!! so far so good for me....like the cheap gas bills!!

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Not sure I'd buy another xi- everything seems to be more expensive (brakes, control arms, etc..) Look at the cv boots (last about 60k miles) and ball joints (have to replace control arm if ball joints are bad $$)

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
Brakes are only more expensive on the 325xi, the 330xi brakes are the same as the normal 330i brakes. CV boots and drive axles can last longer or shorter depending on how you treat them and the environment in which you drive in. Same for the control arms.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Brakes are only more expensive on the 325xi, the 330xi brakes are the same as the normal 330i brakes. CV boots and drive axles can last longer or shorter depending on how you treat them and the environment in which you drive in. Same for the control arms.
afaik only the rear 325xi rotors are proprietary, rest is the same as a 325i

1 - 12 of 12 Posts