E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Have had my 323i for about a year now and I cane across something just to good to pass up, an m52tub28 with 90k miles for 150$, it's sitting in my garage, first of all I'm doing a rebuild from the bottom up, asking where anyone has got a gasket and bearing set on the cheap, also has anyone done a bore to the m52tu if so how much and was it really worth it. Now a port and polished head same question. It's gonna be a slow build and I don't need, nor do I want to put it in tomorrow my 323i only has 139k on it and purrs anything anyone has done, give me some advice. Thanks all and I already have a b30 intake manifold, headers, intake, fan delete, lite weight pullies and so on

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,983 Posts
you can't really bore these M52TU/M54 short blocks. theyre aluminum blocks with a type of liners.

as far as porting and polishing the head you can, but it's a tricky art because sometimes you want the flow to swirl. some tuners even suggest a "step" and not the usual match port on exhaust port to exhaust manifold and so forth.

i think cams would be your better bet.

there is a good older thread in the DIY Forum [or maybe in Engine Tuning (sub forum)] where a member cuts the head in half (cross-section) showing all the passages. very helpful to someone wanting to do a port and polish job.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Indeed, and the guy I got it from had it on a pallet for a minute. Anyway I've been searching and can't find any rebuild kits, I.e. gaskets bearings and so on. Anyone have any good ideas about this madness?

·
Registered
10,747 Posts
Indeed, and the guy I got it from had it on a pallet for a minute. Anyway I've been searching and can't find any rebuild kits, I.e. gaskets bearings and so on. Anyone have any good ideas about this madness?
You're not gonna like this, go to the store. Each person's "rebuild kit" will be different, so there is no kit, per se. You need gaskets, there is a gasket kit or set. Bearings, buy bearings.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
I was listing stuff that I already had, and was wondering if there is a place I could buy it all in mass dick, wear makes sense to you is not what I was looking for, I was looking for a way to buy a gasket and bearing set as a package, like I did with my old supra. Not gonna help then **** off smartass

·
Administrator
19,199 Posts
I think the confusion arised because of some missing commas in the last sentence of your original post. I had to read it a few times myself to see that. No need to jump on the offensive. I don't think JD meant any harm, was just asking for clarificarion.

Overall, not very many of these motors get rebuilt because of the special characteristics of their design: composite material cylinder liners, fragile and complex heads, expense of internal engine parts, difficulty in finding those parts, etc. And then you have to deal with tuning it when it's not bone stock. Not a simple prospect.

You can certainly do most of what you want, but it will be more expensive and difficult than the Supra build. Most likely you'll get the best information by searching this and similar forums for the specific things you mention, finding DIYs with the gory details you seek. Best of luck and be sure to make a thread for your rebuild so we can all follow it and learn from your experience.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Read my signatiure......for new memebers for software.

All your part numbers for the engine are on www.realoem.com and then can be bought from ecs tuning. Your piecing it together.

It's easier to be diplomatic here.....even to those who aren't. The people here know a lot about these cars and are the ones to help with everyday problems. Not worth burning bridges to see who's hangs lower.
You have to understand, and look at post counts. Jdstrickland is in the 7000 range. This means he's seen a lot of really stupid posts on here and probably has a second skin for it by now. It also means he probably knows a lot about this stuff and has helped a lot of people. Some people post some really stupid **** on here......and a lot of them are new to the forum with something to prove.

Your also going to deal with a lot of personalitys that are different than your own.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.