E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 01 325 sedan. I just got 18x8 hp evos with 235/35/18 tires put on. I noticed a slight rubbing noise once i get up to 40 mph. I checked it out and i can see marks where it is rubbing in the front fender. Ive searched and i dont see anyone talking about what to do if the front rubs. Can i get them rolled or do i need to get different tires?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
from the picture it looks like your drop ... your car looks fukin slammed... other than that if its not your springs then to only thing is you got fuked up offsets.. because with 235/35/18 there i no reason why you should be rubbing

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I beleive the offset is 37. So should i take it back to where i bought the tires or should i take it to a body shop to see if they can do something?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
GeNR8Zn said:
If those wheels are worth it, change tires and go with 225/40/18.
bro dont tell him to do that.... bottom line here is something is def wrong... you can ask gary if you dont believe me... 235/35/18 shoudl def. have no problems whatsoever.... ask mel aka bluecougar for verification.. bottom line i cant think of any other reason except either your slammed too low or your offset if too aggresive for the front..

btw i dont know the correct offsets on the top of my head.. but search

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i guess it could be that im slammed to far. It has h&r springs on it. I guess thats why its only rubbing in the front. That back is high enough for it not to rub.

·
Owner
4,020 Posts
For 8" wide front wheels, the offset should be about 40 to 45 for proper fitment. It's the 37 offset that's making it rub. Your only bet is to switch to 225 tires.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think i figured it out. I was pumping gas today and i looked down at the tires and what did i see? 235/40/18 I sooooooo told the tire guy i wanted 235/35/18 Hopefully they will work with me in exchanging tires.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok now im pissed. I drove all the way to the freakin tire place today and they put new 225/40/18 tires on the front. i pull out of the parking lot and the tires rub even worse. :wtf: I wonder if maybe one of my shocks is blown. Im startin to get tired of this car. Maybe i should get rid of it. Get me a nice bicycle or somethin simpler. :cry:

·
(\OO\ (||)(||) /OO/)
786 Posts
I don't think it's the tires, you have the correct sizes... My fronts are 18x8 et 35 with 225/40/18 (previously I had 235/40/18), and I'm dropped on PSS9s, no rubbing at all. Where on the fender is it rubbing?

18jake18 said:
Ok now im pissed. I drove all the way to the freakin tire place today and they put new 225/40/18 tires on the front. i pull out of the parking lot and the tires rub even worse. :wtf: I wonder if maybe one of my shocks is blown. Im startin to get tired of this car. Maybe i should get rid of it. Get me a nice bicycle or somethin simpler. :cry:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I took the driver side front wheel off yesterday and i noticed that the spring assembly is really really close to the tire. And part of the metal and some rubber gasket on the shock is sticking out at a point. so maybe thats rubbing against the tire. Before i changed tires yesterday it was rubbing on the outside of the tire right below the crease of where the fender flares out if that makes sense.

·
(\OO\ (||)(||) /OO/)
786 Posts
Hmmm... Sounds like there's a few things for you to investigate.

First is the wheel offset. If you were rubbing on the outside of the tire against the fender, that could be a REALLY low offset wheel. My wheels are inside the outer most portion of the fender at the top of the wheel well by at least 3/8ths of an inch.

Second is your alignment settings, specifically camber. It doesn't look like it in your photos, but you may have positive camber (or too little negative camber), but who knows.

The final thing to check, obviously, is your suspension. As Cuore_alfa states, he has a wider wheel with a higher offset, so the inside of the tire is significantly closer to his front strut and spring assembly, but still isn't rubbing. Have your car checked out by whoever installed the springs to make sure they were installed correctly.

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
ive said it 2 times in this thread already.. im almost positive its your offset... those tires shouldnt be rubbing regardless of your drop unless you have a drop from JAKARTA or something

·
Registered
23 Posts
blurizpimpin said:
ive said it 2 times in this thread already.. im almost positive its your offset... those tires shouldnt be rubbing regardless of your drop unless you have a drop from JAKARTA or something
Look behind your rims double check for the offset #

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I should have done that today since i took the wheels off again. I dont understand though how these wheels are made for this car and then be the wrong offset. I have some connections at a local tire shop. Monday im gonna take it down there. see what they say

·
Registered
23 Posts
18jake18 said:
I took the driver side front wheel off yesterday and i noticed that the spring assembly is really really close to the tire.
How can you see it if you take the wheel off...i thought you need to put on the lift and look under it :dunno:

Why don't you check for the scrape mark on tires/inner fender lip/strut assembly. If it rub inside front fender you should see the scrape mark on the paint.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts