BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
1.888.JLEVISW
14,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok so my brake indicator light went on... you know, the yellow circle with the bars around it.

I used a flashlight to determine that my brake pads are down to about 1/4 of an inch... and I need to replace my brakes quick.

So I have an appointment at BMW Service on thursday... but I don't know what this is going to run me. I called a local wheel/tire place and they will replace the pads and "refinish the rotors" for $150-180. I called BMW and they said I have to replace the rotors since they "wear even faster than the pads"... um... bull****? They also said I need new pads and sensors ofcourse. Comes out to $500 for JUST THE FRONTS. Also, they will sell me the front pads for $300, but refuse to install them unless they inspect my rotors.

What the hell is going on? What do I do... I don't think this is under warranty, is it....
What do I do guys, I have a 2000 328Ci with extended warranty and everything. Only 34K miles, it's a manual so I rarely use my brakes.

Advice please? I could probably get a freaken BBK for that price.

Thanks
JL

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I always thought this was all covered under warranty? It's normal wear/tear, no abuse about needing new pads after 30K+ miles.

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
I'm pretty sure you are covered under the maintenance plan until 36K bro. Don't drive your car TOO much before bringing it in, this can be a great oppurtunity to milk the last of your warranty.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
14,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well... Just had the service rep lookup my VIN... The service warranty is 3 years or 36K miles, and mine expired December of 2002.... So I would have to pay for rotors and pads...
I don't exaclty have $500 lying around.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Isn't maintenance warranty 3 years or 36K in the case of a 2000 model? I don't think they cover maintenance items after that under the extended warranty or so I was under the impression, if so great they pay and can do the whole deal. If not a good independent could do the fronts for a lot less, all parts are under 200 and labor is the shop rate. I'd ask dealer if it's covered by extended warranty. If not could a bay area person recommend a good indie shop?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Probably buying off buying non-OEM parts then.

edit: I'm pretty sure Turner Motorsport sells Zimmerman cross-drilled rotors for like $140 a pair (2). Then you can go with some dustless brake pads. Enhance the look a little and save yourself the misery of OEM prices...

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
bimmerchop said:
do what I'm doing.... Brembo cross drilled rotors and dustless brake pads :thumbup:
I never realized Brembo was so reasonable. I just checked Tire Rack and they want $38 per front rotor and $52 per rear. I'd definetely get in touch with Gary over there.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
14,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
My dad is hollering that I don't need new rotors, and that it'll cost me a bunch to get installed.

So my questions are these:
~Do I need new rotors
~Can I install new rotors and pads by myself
~I still have some beef on my rears... should I get new ones anyways..?

IF so I'm DEFINATELY getting Brembo cross drilled rotors and Hawk pads... sooo sweet.

·
Registered
11,322 Posts
yea, u can install rotors and pads yourself. check my330i.com, i think it has a DIY on both the rotors and pads

·
frequent tire purchaser
658 Posts
How many miles do you have on your car? You very well could need new rotors. I can't believe they want $300 just for the pads..... that's insane. Is this from Stevens Creek?
I got front and rear pads for much less than half that from Cutter Motors in Santa Barbara about 8 months ago.

·
frequent tire purchaser
658 Posts
oops... just saw you have 34K miles. You probably don't need new rotors. Just get the pads and the sensor.... I'll help you replace them if you need.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
14,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OK so i'm about to order:
~Hawk HPS Street brake pads
Note: Front brake pads
Price: $75.00 (axle set)

~Brembo Sport Drilled Rotor (Style:Drilled, Finish:Gold)
Note: (Front) Drilled vented rotors.
Price: $194.00 (pair)

But I want to know this... Do I need to order a separate sensor or what? Also, Misshift... where do you see $38 rotors?!

I'm gonna contact Gary and see if this is the best price.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
It should be under warranty. I had 4 rotors and 4 pads replaced at under 10k miles. And the rotors do wear faster than the pads. I used a micrometer and was noticing over a milimeter of wear at about 8k miles. The service guy said 3-5 mm was enough wear to justify replacing them under warranty. Haven't you gotten pads/rotors replaced before if youve had the car 34k miles? Possible I guess my dads 330 hasnt gotten brakes in 21k but he drives pretty slow and never tracks or autocrosses as much as I try to get him to come along.

·
1.888.JLEVISW
14,704 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Like I said, my maintenence warranty was gone after December 2002. At least I'll get that sexy cross-drilled look soon.

Also, can someone confirm what I need for the sensors?!

One more question... Are Zimmerman Rotors any good? I mean I know the brembo's are great but if I can save $60 why not..

Thanks
JL

·
Nymphomaniac
310 Posts
I just recently replaced my Pads and rotors about a month ago.
Yes if your brake pad lights came on you will have to replace it. Its hard to tell which sensor is worn out until you remove the pads. I just replaced both sensors. $20 bucks for w sensors from pacific bmw. Its a very easy DIY, the only problem you might have is if you get a rotor which is rusted on. You can hammer the rotor and it might come off, if it doesn't you have two options, there is a tool used to remove the rotor, or take it to a local shop and have them do that wheel.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts