E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok. here is the deal. I currently own a 323ci. My SES light came on about 2,000 miles ago. Last week I finally get around to taking it to the stealer and they tell me that I will need to replace my cats(1-3&4-6) as well as the o2 sensors pre and post.( replaced them about 30,000 ago m
yself) My question to all of you is what options do I have besides spending $2600 at the stealer...(parts are still 1800 if I do this my self)
I do not mind going with aftermarket headers and cats(suggestions please) but, don't want my ses light on..i am not worried about emission as I live in Florida..

2: Is there some sort of device that will fake the computer in to thinking everything is ok with out the o2 sensors in place???

Thanks for your help,:bow:

Chris

·
Registered
234 Posts
How many miles on you're car? I thought there was a 80,000 mile warranty on the cat. cons.? If so, the stealer should replace those for free.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sorry...that sucks. Definitely try some aftermarket cats....you'll save a ton of money.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Albo said:
How many miles on you're car? I thought there was a 80,000 mile warranty on the cat. cons.? If so, the stealer should replace those for free.
:werd:

If for some reason the stealer doesnt do them, I would go find a place that will read your emmissions and see if your cats are truly dead. The stealer may be trying to pull your leg when all you really need are 02 sensors.

If they are dead, I would get aftermarket headers, and just keep stock piping. Then get either a sharkinjector or have AA tuning turn off 02 monitoring.

A reasonable time to go for a performance boost. :)

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: I just pulled all the codes with a code reader. do these codes still point to bad cats??

E3 "Oxygen sensor adaption limit, Cyl #1-3"
E4 "Oxygen sensor adaption limit, Cyl #4-6"
E9 "Catalyst efficiency below threshold, Cyl #1-3"
EA "Catalyst efficiency below threshold, Cyl #4-6"

A performance upgrade would be nice.:clap:

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Any ideas on what brand headers/ cats I can use?? I really don't want to spend my life savings on my exhaust...

Thanks,

Chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts