BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I've come just switched over from a heavily modded Rx7 running on a programmable stand alone ECU so I'm not technically retarded when it comes to cars but I have no idea what DSC does I turn it on and off and feel absolutely no difference. Insight anyone?

·
Bimmerless
1,957 Posts
DSC-Dynamic Stability Control

the OBC (onboard computer) in your car sense when one of the wheels is spinning faster than the others, and will reduce or increase power to match all 4 tires spinning the same rate.

but if you are flying around a turn at 90mph, and you hit a streak of water, good luck, nothing works that fast

·
Bimmerless
1,957 Posts
if you want maximum performance in your M3, turn it off, so you can get that wheel spin between gears, and full control of the car

·
Registered
3,186 Posts
Try this to notice the difference:

Do a hard launch with DSC on and then try a hard launch with DSC off.

·
Waiting for my V8 4door M3!
2,665 Posts
Anthony said:
if you want maximum performance in your M3, turn it off, so you can get that wheel spin between gears, and full control of the car
Not to start any beef with you but what kinda stupid response was that?

turn it off to get full control of the car????

DSC helps you to KEEP control of the car. :confused:

·
Registered
665 Posts
The DSC button is for both traction control and dynamic stability. The traction control is what is described above. The other very important function of dynamic stability is that it senses when the car is starting to lose control, such as sliding, and it applies brakes to one or more wheels and/or reduces engine power to bring the car back under control and keep you on the road and away from that telephone pole.

Pretty amazing and effective safety technology. Not foolproof though as you can't deny the laws of physics if you are just going way too fast or hit some real slippery stuff.

I'm not sure I've described the function in a perfect technical sense but a good layman's description. I think it is well described in the owner's manual.

·
Banned
2,288 Posts
I've driven many cars with "traction control", but the DSC is pretty amazing. I've gone through many a corner in the rain and felt the car start to lose it...you can feel each individual brake doing its work to keep you from sliding. DSC also utilizes engine management. If you try and do a burnout with DSC on, you may notice a slight chirp, but you will see your RPM's drop real quick as the engine tries to compensate for you breaking traction.

If you are racing or autocrossing and want to control every aspect of your vehicle, you need to turn DSC off. Otherwise, unless you are an experienced driver, keep it on.

Another point is a lof BMW drivers will drive all the time with it on....and it gives you the illusion that you can save your car in any situation (when in fact the DSC is doing the work). These owners then turn it off and lose complete control of the car. So you may want to "discover" your car without DSC on, but save it for the track.

·
Senior Eurowerkz Member
13,182 Posts
you should never take off the dsc only if

you want to smoke the tires or if you want to go threw the 1/4 mile. because the dsc control the car so for some reason you loose control of the car. for ground conditions the dsc will help you stay in control of the car. its a big safety factor in the bmw cars. it is worth very cent of the car to have that system in a bmw car working.
bobm3 :thumbup: :thumbup:

·
Banned
783 Posts
hahaha you guys are funny... So DSC is good to be on all the time, just in case you happen to pass by a sliding part of a road... and keeps you good...

And take it off, say when it's dry road and straight and you want to race someone?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I keep it off all the time, except when I'm really tired. As long as you know if its off or on, as well as your car's capabilities and limits you should be ok. If you don't know how to drive a rwd car keep it on though, as you'll prob save yourself the hassle of unwrapping your car from the telephone pole at the apex of your favorite corner...

·
Obey my dog
2,643 Posts
i have a dumb question. is if off when you push it once and the little ! turns on, or is it off when you hold it down for a long time and the brake light turns on? what's the difference?

·
Registered
281 Posts
pressing it once removes traction control but not dsc, holding it removes all, or something like that, not 100% sure...

·
BMW Land Barge
1,378 Posts
DSC only helps you in situations where a skilled driver would have no trouble anyway.

It does not overcome the laws of physics, and it can be dangerous. Of course, the real issue is that far too many people just don't learn to drive and use it as a crutch.

·
Slow in, slower out
4,754 Posts
Nick325xiT 5spd said:
DSC only helps you in situations where a skilled driver would have no trouble anyway.

It does not overcome the laws of physics, and it can be dangerous. Of course, the real issue is that far too many people just don't learn to drive and use it as a crutch.

That is the best summary of DSC I ever read.

Ed

·
Registered
11 Posts
Actually the manual suggests turning DSC off in certain snow conditions. I believe one button push disables DSC, and leaves traction control on with brake control, holding the button turns it all off.

·
BMW Land Barge
1,378 Posts
qwiktiger said:
Actually the manual suggests turning DSC off in certain snow conditions. I believe one button push disables DSC, and leaves traction control on with brake control, holding the button turns it all off.
I've found that DSC STALLS the car in the snow. Yep, that really makes it safer.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts