E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My clutch is on it's last legs, so I'm hoping this has something to do with it, but I'm really worried it's something else. It's done this twice now, both times were in 3rd gear, at 3.5k rpm's, and getting on the freeway. The first time, my friend was driving, and I thought he was doing it just to mess with me, but he said it was the car. Today it did it again while I was driving to school. It's almost like the clutch disengages real quick and and engages abruptly again, but normally my clutch doesn't slip while driving, only after shifts. It's like a money shift and back to normal again in less than a second. Anyone have any idea what this is? Every once in a while I've noticed when I take off in first I let the clutch out all the way and a few seconds later it "jumps" a little, but I always assumed this was the DSC, because it only does it when I take off fast and I've never noticed it when I have it turned off. Same problem? I don't have the money to fix anything but the clutch right now, and I'm really worried this is another problem.

Thanks in advance, you guys have been so much help to me already!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't know how it would be low, but I'll definitely look into it! is there a dipstick on manuals?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
For manual, no dipstick. You have to get under the car and pull out the "fill" plug. If fluid comes out, it's full or if you stick your finger in and you can feel the fluid level just below the fill hole, its pretty full as well. The car should be level while checking the fluid level too.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright I'll try that. My car does sound kind of Grindy in first and second gear. Maybe that's an indicator it's low? It doesn't leak though, unless it's dry lol

·
Registered
345 Posts
Maybe your rear main seal, or input seal are leaking and oil is getting on the clutch disc.

Being low on gear oil isn't going to cause the problems you're having, it's not like an automatic.

·
Registered
245 Posts
A clutch that is slipping will start showing signs of it in the top gear and as it gets worse, it will start slipping in the lower gears. While doing 40ish in 5th gear, Floor the accelerator and if the engine revs but the car doesn't pick up much or any speed, then you're clutch is going. As for your posted problem in 3rd gear, the clutch may have hit a glazed spot or something and just slipped for a second before it bit again. That's the way I see it anyway.
Green

·
Registered
2005 330i manual transmission performance package
3,884 Posts
Maybe your rear main seal, or input seal are leaking and oil is getting on the clutch disc.

Being low on gear oil isn't going to cause the problems you're having, it's not like an automatic.
I like that suggestion, but when that happens, wouldn't it stink of burned oil?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts