BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noob question. On the service printout, it says both rear springs broken. Its the spring that goes around the shock right? I mean, there are no other springs to look for right? Does anyone have any suggestions for a durable replacement? part number? Thanks!

·
Registered
70 Posts
Broken Springs? Were you chasing the Duke boys up any sweet jumps...But seriously. If your springs in the rear were broken, your car would likely sit on the ground. how does it drive. Is it handling poorly? I am unaware of what broken springs in any other sense would mean on your car. Have someone in service, point out to you what the problem is.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ive had broken springs on my ford before and it did indeed sit very low to the ground. On my BMW however, it is not sitting low at all. Could the tech have meant cracked spring? I think im gonna take it to an indy shop for a second oppinion. I find it odd too since i only have 43k miles.

·
Registered
713 Posts
my rears broke too. It happens more than it should on e46's.

I'm replacing with H&R Sports from tire rack. It's low and nice. somtimes i bottom on speed bumps, but I don't regret my choice because it looks good to me.

You can do it yourself. look on the DIY forum. If not, then spend a couple k to have someone else do it.

J

·
Registered
360 Posts
Noob question. On the service printout, it says both rear springs broken. Its the spring that goes around the shock right? I mean, there are no other springs to look for right? Does anyone have any suggestions for a durable replacement? part number? Thanks!
Noo rear springs are seprate from shocks in the rear. Shocks are farther back. On my car thats true anyway.. On the front its the spring strut combo though

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
kinda confusing, springs, coilovers etc. Are all these terms used interchangibly? The service slip said "broken springs" i looked and didnt see anything obvious so im wondering what the hell the tech is talking about. I dont know the basics of suspensions he..he

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,481 Posts
The E46 has shocks that don't have springs around them like other cars. Nor is it like the front. Dampeners(shocks) and springs are not together on the REAR.

Yes, the E46 has been known to break a coil on the rear springs. So buy somethng aftermarket if you'd prefer from H&R, Eibach, UUC if you want. The spring rate will firmer and the drop about an 1.25 depending on what you had and which one you buy. I think yu can only buy these in matching sets of four(frt/rr) not just rears. To replace rears is easy stuff, but fronts will take more tools and work..and you'll need to get an alignment afterwards.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,481 Posts
Here is what it looks like for reference. The rear Coil spring shown sits between the spring pads, #15 and #18. Part#1 fits in and under #3

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the clarification. When you say rears are easy, does that mean easy enough for a novice like me? If so, maybe ill just try to buy used oem rears from someone and call it a day. I did a search and just became more confused. Do you know of a good DIY on here? The dealership only mentioned the rears being broken, so if i dont have to change all 4, thats better.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,481 Posts
You should be able to do it yourself. No special tools needed. Sure you can find some used springs, make sure they are your model specific(differing spring rates). As long as they are inexpensive, you don't want to get another set of worn-out springs. Ask JPR or Franz, they both have alot of suspension info and spring colors(used for marking) for the E46 BMWs.
Search the DIY Section of this forum for the rear spring install or buy/borrow the Bentley Manual from someone.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts