E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im new to all this stuff because this is my first car that i bought.
i want to buy myself a Boston Acoustics' SPG555-4 subwoofer.

these are the specs

race track shape 4-ohm subwoofer
polypropylene woofer cone with foam surround
RadialVent cooling for increased power handling
RVC™ (Removable Voice Coil) and SPS™ (Soft Part System) allows quick field repairs
neodymium magnet structure for light weight
power range: 100-1000 watts RMS
frequency response: 20-350 Hz
sensitivity: 83.6 dB
mounting depth: 8-3/16"
sealed box volume: 1.00 cu. ft.
ported box volume: 2.10-2.50 cu. ft.

what kind of amp should i get for this sub? and would my harmon kardon speakers be fine or should i get new speakers? and if so which ones?

thanks
-yan

·
Registered
248 Posts
The rms of your amp should never excede the rms of your subwoofer. In general it is a good idea to get an amp with a lower rms rating. Also you don't want the peak power of the amp to be higher than that of the sub, else you risk blowwing it. Further more if your sub is a 4 ohm sub you need to run a 4ohm stabel system. in general if you have on sub and one amp you can match the resistance (ohms) and be fine, however when you add more to the system you can use combinations to match the resistance. i.e 2 4 ohm stable subs can run it off a single 2 ohm stable amp.

·
Registered
805 Posts
That sub is a SVC per crutchfield. So you will need an amp to push about 1000wrms @4ohm. This is going to be expensive. You may want to look at getting the 2-ohm model as it is more common to find decent amps that push [email protected] vice [email protected] If you haven't bought the sub, i would look elsewhere at different brands. That sub is pretty expensive. You can go with another brand such as Image Dynamics, Incriminator Audio, RE, FI, Soundsplinter, etc and get a comparable/better sub for less money.

Whatever sub you decide on, i would get an amp that pushes a little more power. i.e. i run a 1000wrms sub with a 1500wrms amp. This will allow you to set your amp more conservatively. The lower the gain on the amp, the more efficient it will be, and will in turn run cooler. For amps, i would look into Sundown, Alpine, RF, Kicker. Stay away from BOSS, Pyramid, Pyle, etc. Most of the low priced amps will not do their rated power. Since this is your first time buying equipment, buy the right equipment first.

Once you decide on the sub you want, send me a PM and ill help you find an amp to go along with it. Or, they have package deals here - http://www.soundsolutionsaudio.com/zencart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9&products_id=114

SSA makes great subs, paired with a Sundown amp, you will be VERY pleased.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts