BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So im bleeding the master cylinder today and was wondering what size is the screw of the lines that go into the master cylinder... believe me i searched...im going to buy the master cylinder bleeder kit and it comes in SAE or Metric not sure which one to get, i dont have my bentley manual with me as i am at the auto store right now... any insight? Thanks.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
okay 5 hr bump.... how bout another question... what size are the brake lines for an e46? are they metric or sae

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ohh i have an automatic unfortunately lol... but yeah so story was let the brake fluid reservoir empty completely to get the master cylinder out of the car... epic fail, so i just scrwed everything back together and bled the brakes = brake pedal spongy and sinking to floor which i concluded trying to get the master cylinder out resulted in air in the master so im going to connect the fittings to the master cylinder where those two lines come out and a tube connected to those fittings so that when i press the brake , the fluid comes out bring out air as well

....whats a slave?

·
Registered
103,539 Posts
Hmm, the air in the master should come out just through bleeding the system through the calipers. I guess you're trying to "bench bleed" the master. It can be done, but it's a bit of work.

For the clutch, it works similarly. You bleed the master through the slave cylinder.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
:bawling: i wish it did but no luckk all that happened was that my DSC light came on and my yellow brake light when parking brake was disengaged.

i read on the master cylinder diy that to take out the air to bleed it from the master, which i plan on doing. so you said i need to buy metric fittings right?

EDIT: Heres the thread http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=774608&highlight=master+cylinder+diy

·
Registered
103,539 Posts
Ahh, I see. Well, it's quicker to bench bleed anyway, haha.

Yes, the fittings should be metric. How about bleeding the ABS unit?

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ehhh, doesnt bleeding the abs unit require the dealership computers to trickle the valves? i think im just going to do some runs to activate the abs for now to squeeze the air out and get a mroe proper flush at a shop later

·
Registered
103,539 Posts
Right. Most people seem to do the latter in a pinch, too.

·
Registered
103,539 Posts
No prob. Good luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts