BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Current: I currently have the stock non upgraded system (Non HK).
Willing to spend: For now I have around $1000 to spend on a system... and I have no clued of what to get.

What I like: I like to be able to tell the difference between the High and the Low.

Questions: 1) What are the size of the speakers for 323ci 2000.
2) What Brand(s) should I get.
3) What Subs should I get, without taking up trunk space. I hear a lot about the JL subs, and I don't know if it is anygood.

Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks

·
Registered
449 Posts
You need to give a bit more details on what you want. Specifically, what do you LIKE about the stock system, so we can suggest things to change. While $1000 can maybe get you a fair amount of new equip (headunit and speakers, or amp and speakers, or amp, speakers, and sub), you'd probably be limited w/ the brands of the equipment (sony/clarion vs alpine/JL).

Do you want to keep the stock radio? Do you care? How do the interior speakers sound to you now? Do you just want more bass? Do you want your music Louder?

Etc...

chandavi said:
Current: I currently have the stock non upgraded system (Non HK).
Willing to spend: For now I have around $1000 to spend on a system... and I have no clued of what to get.

What I like: I like to be able to tell the difference between the High and the Low.

Questions: 1) What are the size of the speakers for 323ci 2000.
2) What Brand(s) should I get.
3) What Subs should I get, without taking up trunk space. I hear a lot about the JL subs, and I don't know if it is anygood.

Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks

·
booo for body roll.
3,417 Posts
if u wanna be able to tell highs and lows i'd definitely get speakers first. there are many brands, i like mb's and focal's personally. but like everyone is going to say-- "listen to them and pick which u like"

·
hammer talks like this
4,219 Posts
id say do the upgrade on the mids and highs first along with a four channel amp. if moeny is still avail. pick up a new radio too.

·
Suck it easy.............
2,469 Posts
for around that much, I would recommend some focal 136k (around $2-300) for the front, JL stealth box (around $300) for the rear and a nice amp to power them....that should make the car sound pretty damn good...total might be over $1000, but not by much.

·
OG e46fanatics lurker!
1,997 Posts
BGReddy00 said:
JL subs whatever you do

lots of subs out there that sound just as good if not better than jl subs AND are less expensive:thumbup: cant really go wrong with jl subs...but if youre on a budget, i'd spend most of it on my front stage...

·
Registered
123 Posts
start building. Don't think the $1000 will be all you will use for the system, because you will be disappointed. build in stages. start with a quality head unit (~400) with multiple RCAs, a boxed sub (JL is the way to go - ~200) and an amp (~400). Weak bass is the most noticible change you can improve upon.

For your next $1000, get some nice seperates for the front (~300), some decent components for the back (~200), and an amp to power them (~400). You may need a capacitor at that point too (~200).

That's how I did it. I wouldn't do it any other way. Honestly, the sub is the best, most noticible first impact. You need it. Door speakers are just not adequate to provide anything other than mid-base.

Another thing - don't get crappy stuff (Sony, Pioneer, etc). I have all JL and I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
961 Posts
AVD-6000 300
AVM-9000 400
SDV-P7 270
Total 1070 out of ebay, and I got a kick *** DVD 5.1 Channel player.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts