E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
BMW 320i 2002 e46 5spd manual RHD
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
It's an interesting hypothesis. If... the number of turns lock/lock are greater AND the DSC is called into action will this provoke the DSC system to say, WTF I can't compute. Here's your light, and I'm outta here?
(Big empty parking lot might be needed for testing?)

Another thought having performed several rack swaps on the E30/36 chassis. Sometimes if one chooses a rack that has greater travel from lock/lock (not always the amount of turns BTW) the steering angle can become greater at full lock than originally designed. (Think drift car, sort of)

I think the only way is you're going to have to try it and let us know.
I will have to test it i guess.. I shall be the guinea pig and keep this post updated

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Problem - silver tag rack has 3.2 turns lock to lock....

So how will i go about programming the units to accommodate this?

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,786 Posts
I think your biggest concern would be if it leaks or not?
^this. why would you really want to retrofit an old E36 laying around rack that was made in 1992? those seals are probably all dried up. not to mention you don’t even know the wear on it prior to being pulled.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
^this. why would you really want to retrofit an old E36 laying around rack that was made in 1992? those seals are probably all dried up. not to mention you don’t even know the wear on it prior to being pulled.
A couple reasons... Reasons that wont make sense to you, because our circumstances differ in a huge way (which i dont wanna get into) , i need to make due with whats available to me....a refurbished rack is outa the question so is a new one.
A good used one thats same as mine, is also outa the question.

Why dont i just sell the car for something that'll be cheaper - cause i dont want to, this is mine, its fully paid up.. Its on the road... I know all the issues it has.. I know how to fix em...

Now - will it leak? : maybe.. Idk... It still has oil in it, it was used up to last year December, without issue, when the guy stripped the car to start refurbishment on another car(this one rusted away) ... There where pars that he didn't need to swap over, this was one of em... Im sure if it was good 6months ago, and still has oil inside, it should be good when i start using it.

Next question i have, what kind of programming will i need to do?.. How do i make this work, even if its not supposed to... I have a laptop.. Software, and a dream..

(ps: please be forgive full about any grammar/spelling issues)

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,786 Posts
as mentioned if you were to install “example” a 15.5:1 overall ratio and yours is 13.7:1 now it’ll be a “looser” feel. not tighter. it will trigger your DSC thinking your car is initiating a plow. steering wheel angle sensor input will not match the steering yaw/pitch sensor for correct driving line.

edited
as for coding i am not sure how sensitive slow driving would be impacted by different ratio. you may not have it trigger much. you should be able to turn DSC off and not trigger. i am not even certain it’s 15.5:1 like earliest 323s/328s.
I also don’t know if your year ECU can be coded. or if so where/how to do. I have never seen or heard (on non-M) it being a simple box to check.

if you have to pass inspection I would expect it to fail if DCS has to be completely functioning. but I do Not know for certain.
GL

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
as mentioned if you were to install “example” a 15.5:1 overall ratio and yours is 13.7:1 now it’ll be a “looser” feel. not tighter. it will trigger your DSC thinking your car is initiating a plow. steering wheel angle sensor input will not match the steering yaw/pitch sensor for correct driving line.
For the feel: i dont really mind, im in college, all that matters is if it works.

As for the DSC: how do i fix that? Can i programme the car to accommodate the new rack?

As for my rack: yes, the boots tore, dirt, mud and grime got into it, it started making a grinding noise and leaked oil BADLY.. we had to open it up, clean it up and sand down the bush/seal in the middle cause it was making noise and making the steering stick, also after thorough inspection it seems like the (bore??) got chewed up...also my ps pump died. So now i drive with no ps pump and a rack that has no seals and no boots... Its starting to grind and stick again.

As for refurbished rack: out of question due to the prices.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Isnt there a recoding / relearning / recalibration method that can be used?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
If it triggers these lights, does that inturn, disable my abs and traction control??

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Edited
as for coding i am not sure how sensitive slow driving would be impacted by different ratio. you may not have it trigger much. you should be able to turn DSC off and not trigger. i am not even certain it’s 15.5:1 like earliest 323s/328s.
I also don’t know if your year ECU can be coded. or if so where/how to do. I have never seen or heard (on non-M) it being a simple box to check.

if you have to pass inspection I would expect it to fail if DCS has to be completely functioning. but I do Not know for certain.
GL
Thx for the reply...
We do not do such inspections here in SA, so its all good there... As for the coding, there has to be someone on here that has some sort of idea what can be done/modified...

But if the lights come on but it doesn't disable my abs and traction control, then i can live with a couple lights on the dash... But im not sure what it will do/not do

·
//Binary is in my DNA
2002 BMW 325i
4,312 Posts
Honestly you need to park the car until you can afford to fix it the correct way. No offense intended but you are heading for trouble swapping out 20 year old parts with 30 year old parts to try to make your car usable.

As @MrMCar pointed out earlier, I want you and your car ahead of me, not behind me.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Honestly you need to park the car until you can afford to fix it the correct way. No offense intended but you are heading for trouble swapping out 20 year old parts with 30 year old parts to try to make your car usable.

As @MrMCar pointed out earlier, I want you and your car ahead of me, not behind me.
If parking it was one of the options, i would definitely jump on that... But its not...
I guess ill try and make another plan. Thx all for the input.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
Awww, I was gonna say to try it-

I don't think that small a difference in ratio is going to cause a major DSC freakout.

Also, as Don says, the E36 rack has more travel, so the extra .4 turns MIGHT not be a big deal.

It's easy to change a rack- coupla hours, maybe- so give it a shot. And if the inner tie rods
aren't floppy, they'll be ok. They should have just a little resistance to movement.
And you can easily reuse the lock washers for the inners- just be a little gentle on them
when you remove 'em.

t
what's a little DSC flashy gonna hurt, anyway?

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Awww, I was gonna say to try it-

I don't think that small a difference in ratio is going to cause a major DSC freakout.

Also, as Don says, the E36 rack has more travel, so the extra .4 turns MIGHT not be a big deal.

It's easy to change a rack- coupla hours, maybe- so give it a shot. And if the inner tie rods
aren't floppy, they'll be ok. They should have just a little resistance to movement.
And you can easily reuse the lock washers for the inners- just be a little gentle on them
when you remove 'em.

t
what's a little DSC flashy gonna hurt, anyway?
I might as well test it i guess.. Can always clear the code and recalibrate it...

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,786 Posts
just turn DSC off everytime and you should be ok as far as triggering.

i only triggered it excessively on my M3 w/CSL rack on faster/tighter turns prior to coding.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
just turn DSC off everytime and you should be ok as far as triggering.

i only triggered it excessively on my M3 w/CSL rack on faster/tighter turns prior to coding.
Wait so coding it is an option that exists?
Also if I turn off dsc, does that kill the so called traction control?

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
As far as I know, recoding would only work if the rack you have is very close
to a factory- option rack for your car. So if the ratio you have is very close to the
pre- 2001 rack, you'd code your ABS computer for pre- 2001 IF there was a pre- 2001 coding for
the ABS computer variant you have.

Clear as mud?

So there are 3 major variants- Teves MK20, MK60, and Bosch 5.7. (approximately- I'm no expert)
IF the (approximate) rack you have has coding for the ABS version in your car, you can try it.

As far as I know, there's no way to tune ABS computers like you can tune a DME.
It would be neat (and significantly dangerous) if you could.

And yes, turning off DSC will reduce or disable traction control, depending on how long you hold the button.

If you have a manual transmission, an ABS/DSC fault won't matter much.
For an autobox, it may cause transmission problems- or it may not, as it would be a
'rotational' fault, not a drive fault. It just depends on how granular a 2002's EGS computer is.

I totally say try it and let us know how it goes. You're out a quart of ATF for the experiment.

t

·
Premium Member
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
4,613 Posts
^^^
That's my understanding of it too. That there are only so many options that you have to choose from when coding the DSC, and why I wouldn't want to try using a much slower E36 rack in E46, besides the obvious downgrade in performance.

Either disabling the DSC or a fault does disable traction control, yes.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
As far as I know, recoding would only work if the rack you have is very close
to a factory- option rack for your car. So if the ratio you have is very close to the
pre- 2001 rack, you'd code your ABS computer for pre- 2001 IF there was a pre- 2001 coding for
the ABS computer variant you have.

Clear as mud?

So there are 3 major variants- Teves MK20, MK60, and Bosch 5.7. (approximately- I'm no expert)
IF the (approximate) rack you have has coding for the ABS version in your car, you can try it.

As far as I know, there's no way to tune ABS computers like you can tune a DME.
It would be neat (and significantly dangerous) if you could.

And yes, turning off DSC will reduce or disable traction control, depending on how long you hold the button.

If you have a manual transmission, an ABS/DSC fault won't matter much.
For an autobox, it may cause transmission problems- or it may not, as it would be a
'rotational' fault, not a drive fault. It just depends on how granular a 2002's EGS computer is.

I totally say try it and let us know how it goes. You're out a quart of ATF for the experiment.

t
I dont even need to connect the pump or wheels, i can just keep tge cars front in the air, swap just the rack over, start the car (remember i have no pump at this point) and turn lock to lock, it should throw a code if i go over the lock amount... Or do i have to be driving?

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
6,176 Posts
Drive it and see...

·
Registered
604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
If there's an extra half turn, wont that damage the clock spring? (steering controls)

21 - 40 of 40 Posts