E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
BMW 320i 2002 e46 5spd manual RHD
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This rack i just kinda bought... Its used, it was EXTREMELY Cheap as the guy had no use for it and is a friend of my fathers... Plus he said i can pay whenever... It was taking up space...

So here is a picture of it below, i think it might be from an e36, although i measured everything and it seems like it will be able to bolt up to my e46.

Bolts are in the right spot, its the same size as my purple tag, with everything in the right spot.
Is this the silver tag?
Whats the difference between it and my purple tag?
Sorry for all the questions... And forgive my grammar /spelling

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
6,020 Posts
Go here:

Enter the 7 digit number: 1 140 829

You get this:

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Im just worried that the spline by the steering (guibo?) wont go into mine

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
e46 rack bolts up to e36, I would imagine it works wise versa.
After reading up online i saw they use e46 racks on e36, so i guess it should bolt up, i hope my turn ratio will be at least the same

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
I think your biggest concern would be if it leaks or not?

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Uh, you also need TWO more parts my friend for that OLDER rack:
32 11 1 136 526; 2 each.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Uh, you also need TWO more parts my friend for that OLDER rack:
32 11 1 136 526; 2 each.
Google shows this as some sort of washer lock plate thingy, why do i need it? (asking cause I really don't know)

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
That's what locks the inner tie rods to the rack. If your NOT using, please let others know.
I want to be behind and NOT in front of you.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's what locks the inner tie rods to the rack. If your NOT using, please let others know.
I want to be behind and NOT in front of you.
Im dumb... I will have to look into this first.. Im no suspension / rack expert.. Atleast not yet...
Thanks for the heads up

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok i saw now on yt... But what if i keep the inner tierod unchanged, just unbolt the outer one and bolt my outer one on? (provided the inner rods are the same length)?? I will definitely need wheel alignment but couldn't that work?

·
Registered
‘99 328i Meergruen Metallic
166 Posts
Ok i saw now on yt... But what if i keep the inner tierod unchanged, just unbolt the outer one and bolt my outer one on? (provided the inner rods are the same length)?? I will definitely need wheel alignment but couldn't that work?
You’ll be mad at yourself down the road for not changing them now. Do it all at once and save yourself another alignment in ~3 months when you realize your worn inner tie rods are what’s causing the slop in your steering.

·
Premium Member
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
4,566 Posts
After reading up online i saw they use e46 racks on e36, so i guess it should bolt up, i hope my turn ratio will be at least the same
They use E46 racks on E36 because the ratios on those racks are horrible. Using this cheap rack is likely to give you over 4 turns lock to lock and give your ASC/DSC fits.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
They use E46 racks on E36 because the ratios on those racks are horrible. Using this cheap rack is likely to give you over 4 turns lock to lock and give your ASC/DSC fits.
I will give mine a test lock to lock then test this one lock to lock and report back....

Re new rack:
More turns to lock = issues
Less turns to locks/same = good

. ?? .

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Anything but the same number of turns is likely to require coding the DSC to prevent it throwing a fault.
But the car never complain when you do half turns, or quarter turns, so how will it know that you doing les turn lock to lock?

More turns lock to lock makes sense to me cause it goes past the limit of oem... But what if i go with my oem rack and never do a full lock turn again... Car wont know the difference..

But then again i could be completely wrong, it is a german car after all.

·
Registered
600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just did i check, oem lock to lock is about 2.8 turns, can i round that off to 3 turns?

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
It's an interesting hypothesis. If... the number of turns lock/lock are greater AND the DSC is called into action will this provoke the DSC system to say, WTF I can't compute. Here's your light, and I'm outta here?
(Big empty parking lot might be needed for testing?)

Another thought having performed several rack swaps on the E30/36 chassis. Sometimes if one chooses a rack that has greater travel from lock/lock (not always the amount of turns BTW) the steering angle can become greater at full lock than originally designed. (Think drift car, sort of)

I think the only way is you're going to have to try it and let us know.

·
Premium Member
'03 325iT Mystic Blau
4,566 Posts
But the car never complain when you do half turns, or quarter turns, so how will it know that you doing les turn lock to lock?

More turns lock to lock makes sense to me cause it goes past the limit of oem... But what if i go with my oem rack and never do a full lock turn again... Car wont know the difference..

But then again i could be completely wrong, it is a german car after all.
If the ratio is different from what your steering angle sensor is expecting is where it can become an issue.
Just did i check, oem lock to lock is about 2.8 turns, can i round that off to 3 turns?
This may be close enough.
I wouldn't use it, but you can give it a shot and see what you come up with.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts