E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
30,072 Posts
No its not the igniter. That is an error canceller (capacitor). You can find them on ebay or pretty much any company who sells HID, like DDM Tuning.

eBay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/HID-WARNING...Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item20c08fd477

DDM: http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/Error-Code-Eliminator-3-PAIR
That particular part I know is not OE.

However, the OP says that part failed. I figure he's talking about the igniter. Why/how would he come to the conclusion that that part failed if he doesn't know what it is to begin with. Did you install that on your own car OP or did you buy your car with a ghetto rig HID kit?

And is that a pic of your part or a pic you pulled off the web?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Definitely not OEM. OP probably has reflector housings with aftermarket HIDs installed. This part can go bad by melting internally, happens if you install it with the polarities switched. Or just age, capacitors dont last forever. I myself have had to replace about 6 in 3 years of selling HID kits. Hell, some cars melt them as soon as you turn on the headlights even with everything hooked up correctly, why, I dont know. He should be able to still run the kit without that part. He will just get a bulb out warning on the dash.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's the igniter. I don't think you can buy that separately. Try eBay.

By the way, how do you know it "went bad"?
it went bad because one of my belt tensioners came off and coolant got inside of one... i swapped out the good one onto the other headlight and it went on so it's definitely this part.. i will check it out.. thanks for the responses guys :thumbsup:

·
Registered
30,072 Posts
it went bad because one of my belt tensioners came off and coolant got inside of one... i swapped out the good one onto the other headlight and it went on so it's definitely this part.. i will check it out.. thanks for the responses guys :thumbsup:
People need to be more descriptive with their car problems. Hi this part failed wat is it? isn't very helpful.

And, by the way, that part did not go bad on its own. Your lack of maintenance led to the demise of the part.

You honestly should remove that junk before the glare it produces causes an accident. Just saying.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
People need to be more descriptive with their car problems. Hi this part failed wat is it? isn't very helpful.

And, by the way, that part did not go bad on its own. Your lack of maintenance led to the demise of the part.

You honestly should remove that junk before the glare it produces causes an accident. Just saying.
was there any part of my post where i said it went bad on it's own? i figured the picture i posted and the fact that i said it was part of an HID would've been enough for you to figure it out... guess some people are a bit slow, or should just stay in the valley where they belong. just saying. :hi:

·
Registered
30,072 Posts
was there any part of my post where i said it went bad on it's own? i figured the picture i posted and the fact that i said it was part of an HID would've been enough for you to figure it out... guess some people are a bit slow, or should just stay in the valley where they belong. just saying. :hi:
Your post was comprised of the usual one-liner question which most noobs provide whose post counts are usually under 100. Providing more information when asking for help never hurt anyone.

Also what does your comment on people from the valley mean? You're probably trying to infer something negative here.

Lets see if there's any bite to that bark. I'm listening and taking notes ;)

·
Registered
30,072 Posts
i'm not the guy that suggested I had junk on my car after I thanked the people that knew what I was talking about.. so who was the one starting nonsense over the internet? done here.. thanks little buddy
You do have junk on your car. You're trying to infer that I'm of a lower standard than you for living in the valley (I live in Woodland Hills FYI) when you're the one running around with a $20 Chinese DDM HID kit? Please. . I'm sorry you got offended. But Chinese HID kits are not only illegal, they're downright dangerous and show your disregard for your safety and the safety of those around you. I hope I never share a road with you.

It's one thing to learn from your mistakes and another to be ignorant to fact

·
Registered
30,072 Posts
It's ok, Jizzzoe. Our 'little buddy' over here will never understand the truth until it causes an accident. I can't tell you how distracting/blinding/annoying it is when I see somebody in my rearview with a plug-and-play Chinese HID kit pointing every which way except on the road.

I used to be one of these kids, I won't lie. 10 years ago I was putting crap HID kits in my my cars. It took me a while to realize the effect this has on others, not to mention how stupid it looks. This is why when I bought my E46, one of the requirements I had was that it had to have factory xenon.

·
Registered
30,072 Posts

·
Registered
649 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts