BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Gentlemen,

So, I'm attempting to remove my rear wheel for the first time and I ran into a snag. I have no clue what type of wheel lock this is? What type of tool do I need to remove this?

See attached picture...

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
:rofl: Its not a wheel lock, its a collar nut for the wheel bearing. Your wheel is seized on the rotor. You just need a good wooden baseball bat or equivalent and hit the back side of the wheel.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
lol.... this ^^

Just be sure to thread one or 2 (I prefer 2) bolts back in a few turns so that when you beat the ish out of the wheel it doesn't go flying off.

My method preferred over beating it up is a prybar (assuming you're on a hoist or high enough you can do this... not that kind of high lol) between the wheel and balljoint (up front) or the wheel and bottom of shock (in rear). A gentle pry will usually do, pry in one spot to get it to move, turn wheel 180 deg if it doesn't come off right away and pry again. Once again make sure you have some bolts threaded in there so you don't drop the wheel, damaging it or brake backing plates in the process.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Try (carefully) spraying some penetrating fluid between the rim and the wheel bearing. Let it sit for a few minutes and then give the back of the tire a good hit with a rubber mallet. Once you get the rim off the hub, you can use a screwdriver, a wire brush and some steel wool to clean the hub of rust. You can then spray it with some anti-rust paint to prevent this in the future.

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=489392

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow..haha. Thanks guys. I came to the conclusion that was some type of wheel lock since my wheel was not even slightly coming off. Well, I guess I'm going to have to try to kick the damn thing off. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Like i said. Have a couple bolts in a few turns before "kicking" it <- not a good method IMO

This way you don't f up your wheel or anything else. 40+ lbs can wreck stuff.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts