BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, I want more power out of my 325ci. Dont really want to supercharge or turbo because of reliability issues. Im wanting close to 250rwhp or more. What options do I have

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
There is not to many out there. Headers+intake+exhaust+pullys+cams= and I dont even think that is close to 250hp.

Like everyone is going to tell you. Either S/C or buy a 330 or M3.

Me I am going to S/C. Just cost so much.

·
Registered
28,946 Posts
forced induction is your friend

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Everyone says supercharge, why no turbo? More power is available from a turbo system usually
S/c is easier to install and most people do not want to pull the whole motor to install the turbo.

But yeah turbo can make so much power though

Sent from my PC36100 using Bimmer App

·
Premium Member
20,018 Posts
i think only TT makes a turbo for us. is go turbo over SC just for the sound of the BOV

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lucky for me I have a spare I bought because I figured my engine will blow soon (it has 140k miles). But turbo'ing is to expensive.

·
Registered
529 Posts
forced induction is probably cheaper than building the motor to make NA horsepower..

·
Premium Member
20,018 Posts
Lucky for me I have a spare I bought because I figured my engine will blow soon (it has 140k miles). But turbo'ing is to expensive.
the engine isnt gonna blow unless u do something silly to it. trust that. 140k aint sh1t. thats JUST broken in.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
2.5 M54's limit would be about 190-200whp without cams, probably 215whp with cams. 3.0liter M54's are about 215-220whp without cams, 230whp with cams. A TT kit will cost you around 6K but put you around 275whp (2.5) and 300whp (3.0)

·
Registered
5,457 Posts
Buy an M3 and you will save time, money, and have a better car. The M54 has so many stupid issues it's typically not worth truly building up unless you are trying to run it in a specific class for racing.
This man is absolutely correct.

M54s sure did win a whole bunch or awards for being a good engine, but they suck big time if you want to make power/race. They have WAY to many things that will make your life difficult if you want power.

S54 will make you power all day long.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
Ahh the infamous "How much whp can I get out of my 325" question.

It's not worth to N/A your 325. I had so many plans to do all of what you want to do with my car, and then realized that it's just a waste of money. You're gonna get at best 50whp over stock at the cost of like 3-4k. And if you even supercharge it, of course that would be the smartest option IF you still want to spend the money, that's 5k + you run the risk of something going wrong due to the amount of new boost your car will have. (Only pertains to if you don't keep your car well maintained) My advice, keep the car well kept, focus on making it look like how you want it, and keep it until you're ready to sell it and buy a faster car like an M3 or something. That's the ONLY way you'll make GOOD use of your money on a 325...trust me.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
You can spend $1500 and be a good amount faster than before, AND utilize the same parts if you want to go FI. Besides what are your goals, what are you hoping to accomplish? Considering (where I live) a good low mileage M3 will fetch in the mid 20s, I say keep your car and have fun with it. All the money saved from buying an M car can be spent on HPDEs and autocross. You know...actually driving it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts