1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
mobil 1 is the best way to go... 5w30

·
Registered
141 Posts
M3 require 10w-60 syn oil, u will void the warranty if u use mobile 1 5w-30. There are not much choice on the market usually people just stick with castrol, but i heard that motul is pretty good.

·
Registered
413 Posts
BabyBlack said:
M3 require 10w-60 syn oil, u will void the warranty if u use mobile 1 5w-30. There are not much choice on the market usually people just stick with castrol, but i heard that motul is pretty good.
really? wow didnt know that, why do they req such a thick viscosity?

·
Registered
59 Posts
The E46 M3 required 10w-60 Castrol Synthetic even before the warranty was extended.

Higher revving engines are better protected with a heavier weight oil. The Ferarri Enzo also uses 10w-60 synthetic but from Shell Helix, which costs something like $75 per liter. The Castrol is "only" about $9/liter.

·
Registered
14 Posts
bavauto sells Castrol 10W60 for $9/liter. Best price so far. And yes, all E46 M3's require 10W60. Anything else could void your engine warranty. Problem is, only Castrol makes 10W60 (BMW brand included).

·
Registered
115 Posts
Hey...I just got the 5w-30 Mobil1 for my car. 330Ci. That thing looked like it was like adding water!!! he he!
So you guys think that 5w-30 is NOT a good idea? Coz I did a search on the board and the general consensus was 5w-30.

Anyways...I guess the best thing would be to just get the Castrol from a BMW shop.... :confused:

·
Registered
666 Posts
Your 5w30 is perfect and factory recommended for your 330ci. Very different engine than the M3. Mobil 1 is fine for your 330ci. Many claim that it is higher quality than BMW (Castrol) oil.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I change the oil in my M3 in between each service and I use Motul Racing synthetic I think it's 15w 60.
My car has 29,000mi;es and still kicking with no engine problems...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts