BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to test the alternator today and about to head out to Sears, but checking their website i dont know which one to purchase, can someone please help me or post a link to a multimeter that should be used on my car.

·
Premium Member
3,518 Posts
I am going to test the alternator today and about to head out to Sears, but checking their website i dont know which one to purchase, can someone please help me or post a link to a multimeter that should be used on my car.
If you are only going to measure the DC voltage of the car then ANY multimeter will work. It doesn't matter. Just buy the cheapest available.

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
by the test that AAA ran in your other thread, the alternator seemed ok. as for a multimeter, don't overspend on something you aren't gonna use alot of. if you are going to try and measure battery draw, you will have to get one that has amp readings.

·
Registered
306 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
by the test that AAA ran in your other thread, the alternator seemed ok. as for a multimeter, don't overspend on something you aren't gonna use alot of. if you are going to try and measure battery draw, you will have to get one that has amp readings.
i think you got me confused with someone else lol, i dont have AAA...and i think my VR is shot but just gonna double check:)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Any meter will do, but if you want quality go with a FLUKE. They are going to be more money in the beginning, but you won't kick yourself later for buying crap.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
No denying Fluke makes good, precision meters. You don't need precision to check voltage or resistance on your car or basic household use. These yellow devils are for pros who hammer them in the field. $40-$60 will buy a fine meter that will last years.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
i paid 25 bucks for one of those yellow one. there is no need to spend 200 bucks unless your going to use it every day

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
okay i tested it and these are the readings i get : 12.30 with car off, 13.8 to 13.86 with car on and headlights (xenons) and heater (91 degrees full blast) on, do i need to change my alternator some one please help!!

·
Registered
110 Posts
I have a bluepoint autoranging multimeter that i use for work and it has served me well for years, a little pricey but the accuracy is definatley worth it!!

·
Premium Member
3,518 Posts
okay i tested it and these are the readings i get : 12.30 with car off, 13.8 to 13.86 with car on and headlights (xenons) and heater (91 degrees full blast) on, do i need to change my alternator some one please help!!
13.80-13.86V while running sounds about right. Your voltage regulator should be fine. On my car I measured between 13.65 and 13.75V with revs over 2K with headlights, heater and rear defroster on. I got this reading at the cig lighter. Measuring on the battery or on the under hood battery point will give a slightly highier or lower reading so don't worry about a 100-200 millivolt difference.

Flukes are great meters. I have at least 8 of them of various vintages and capabilities, but, I wouldn't recommend one to someone who only wants to check the voltage regulator on their car. The cheapest meter available will do the job just fine and will last for years of occasional use.

·
Registered
1 Posts
FLUKE multimeters are ideal and accurate checkers even if they are often pricey. I use Fluke 77 on my car and i will recommend any guy to use those cheap electric multimeters if they are not professional electrician for the reason that they are inexpensive and enough for daily electrical checking and repairing.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts