E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A couple of weeks ago I got a dent from a grocery cart or door in the rear fender - no paint came off and the clear coat seems ok.

Anyways I took it to a body shop and they gave me an estimate for about $350 which includes repainting the whole panel. That seemed a little elaborate to me.

So they recommened a guy call the Dent Smith that will pop out the dent by heating the metal so it bends easily - and if necessary push the metal back in if he pops it out too much.

My concern is that do you guys think that this just seems like a quick fix?

Will heating the metal damage the paint and make it crack or fade in the long run?

Does anyone have any experience with this?

thanks

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He did say that they would pull it out with a magnet and if that doesn't work use some sort of rolling tool to push it out.

I don't remember if they would use heat for the magnets.

·
"DPErt-ASchnizA-*****"
5,399 Posts
DING KING!

·
E46-free since 10-13-06
5,293 Posts
"paintless" dent removal like you are talking about is like a gift from God. Different places call it different things, Ding King, Dent Wizard, etc.

My parents' car got a big old dent from a shopping cart. The paintless dent guy got that dent out, plus a few other little dings, for $75. Looks perfect, you can't even tell that it ever was damaged. Car dealers use that service all the time, too. It is a perfect solution for your little parking lot ding! I say go for it.

·
Registered
252 Posts
DentPro, Dentwizzard etc.

Ive had 5 cars done by these various companies for all kinds of dents. So far they have been really good and no paint issues have come up on any of my cars. That dent in your pic should cost max 120.00 bucks and I dont think they have to use heat unless you live in a cold climate. Most of the guys that came out to my work or house did not use heat but I live in Las Vegas so the heat from the sun is at least 120 degrees on the body panels.

·
Conceited Prick
1,903 Posts
I got the paintless dent repair done on my 5er for $90 bucks a panel (3 dings about the same size as yers). Luckily they were on the same panel. IT was like magic. all gone

·
Registered
88 Posts
Paintless dent repair is a process by which they access the inner side of the body panel and then use varios tools (picks) to push it out from the inside. Sometimes, they may have to drill a hole in the side of the door so that they can access the dent with their tools. They usually just stick a plastic plug over the hole afterwards. Whether they heat the panel or not, I have no idea. If they do, it is not to remove the dent, but to prevent the paint from cracking.

http://www.masterofdents.com/ Take a look at this site and you'll see their tools. I do not endorse this company in any way. I just found it as a good illustration of their tools.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.