E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I havent had my car that long (11k miles) and I noticed that when I turn on the AC, it stinks of a very sour smell. I dont think it owuld be the air filter would it since my car is relatively new.

·
Banned
1,987 Posts
He needs a tailor.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Welcome to the world of common problems.

This AC thing has been bugging me for quite some times. I brought my car to the dealership and they just sprayed something. Worked fine for me. The service guy told me I should turn off the AC (The snow button) before turning off the car.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Glory22 said:
How would you go about changing the AC filter?
You mean the cabin air filter? On my car (99 328i), there is three spring loaded thumb screws. Just turn these half a turn counter clockwise, the cover slides out towards the front of the car. Then just remove the filter, install new one (can only go in one way), slide the cover back on and tighten the thumb screws. Very easy, you can get the filter at any BMW dealer, or find it online. At the dealer, I think it is a stocked item.

·
Registered
173 Posts
rkj082000 said:
You mean the cabin air filter? On my car (99 328i), there is three spring loaded thumb screws. Just turn these half a turn counter clockwise, the cover slides out towards the front of the car. Then just remove the filter, install new one (can only go in one way), slide the cover back on and tighten the thumb screws. Very easy, you can get the filter at any BMW dealer, or find it online. At the dealer, I think it is a stocked item.
Thank You :) Just one question....where is this located? Inside the car or under the hood?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Not really...The car is a year 2000, the filter has not been changed or cleaned. When i would first start the car and the AC would automatically turn on, it would smell a little foul. So I took the filter out today, cleaned it out a bit, and sprayed it with some febreeze. I turned on the car, AC came out and smelled nice and fresh.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.