E46 Fanatics Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day everyone,

I recently replaced my heater core in my 2004 E46 330ci Coupe. When I released the 4 bolts that hold the steering column to the dash bracket (4 large bolts) this fell out from the back left side of the steering column. I did not see exactly where it came from and I didn't remove any bolts/nuts from the steering column itself. I have looked at realoem, googled and even asked an online retailer with no luck.

Can anyone tell me what this washer is, where it goes? It looks like it is very specific to something.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Any idea where it goes or a part number? I have been driving the car for about a month without it and no issues but still makes me a little uncomfortable not knowing. Thank you

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like a bolt retainer used to hold a bolt in place until its corresponding nut was put on. Probably nothing to worry about.
That's the thing, no other bolt was ever loosened or nut taken off. Just the 4 large bolts holding the column up and it obviously did not come from one of those 4 bolts.

Anyways, it hasn't veered off the road or locked up so far.

·
Premium Member
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
11,387 Posts
Looks like the assembly "push nuts" that are used in a myriad of places.
I think (?) just might be one that holds some of the sound insulation foam onto a serrated stud under there.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks like the assembly "push nuts" that are used in a myriad of places.
I think (?) just might be one that holds some of the sound insulation foam onto a serrated stud under there.
Thank you, that gives me an idea of something to look for; but doubt I will spend hours on it. I haven't put on the lower steering column cover yet for this purpose. Thanks everyone.

·
Ironman
01 330iT 6MT, 98 M Roadster
5,122 Posts

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it. It looks designed to hold something in place like insulation, or a wire loom that is not critical at all. It's kind of a "speed clip" like product for a pretty lowly function that is not critical. A dash pad on one of my cars (forgot now) was held onto the metal frame with about a dozen of these little clips.

·
Super Moderator
2004 325i automagic
3,861 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.