BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Senior Registered User
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
sorry for the post awhile back but can't figure out why the circled part in the engine bay makes a loud noise for about 20-30 seconds on a cold start then shuts off?? please help! :dunno:

·
Registered
651 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but from what my dealer told me a few weeks ago it may be the air pump that forces air through the exhaust to meet emmissions on startup. It only runs for 20 - 60 secs for startup.

Hth,
Stuart.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I thought that was the oil filter

·
Senior Registered User
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
okay spoke to the dealership-- they said it is the secondary air pump that is making the noise and it is "normal" -- they're '04 cars off the trucks make loud air pump noises on cold starts-- they said I dont need to do anything and it is probably from not driving it for 6 months (true). :thumbup:

·
Banned
684 Posts
AMG EATER said:
okay spoke to the dealership-- they said it is the secondary air pump that is making the noise and it is "normal" -- they're '04 cars off the trucks make loud air pump noises on cold starts-- they said I dont need to do anything and it is probably from not driving it for 6 months (true). :thumbup:
Yep, that's the aux air pump. It activates during cold start to supply additional air to the engine when your car is in closed loop (not monitoring emissions).

-Dan

·
Senior Registered User
939 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dan even though my starts out pretty loud you think it is okay? Maybe cause it hasnt been driven for 6 months? call me up Dan! :thumbup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts