BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so in my quest to find my "ninja" type vacuum leak, i ended up removing my entire intake manifold, to check on everything on the bottom part of it.
i did find one hose that i think was loose, it is one that comes from the very back of the intake manifold... (pointed in the pics).
i think this vac line goes to a black "can"at the back of the engine, i saw this on Adams (pei330ci) pics, as my car does not seem to have that black "can"...
can someone tell me what it is???
ps. hope you dont mind me posting your pics adam.
regards
jorge saca

Attachments

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
nope,
that is the idle control valve, wich goes right ontop of the throttle body.
its not that.....
ive searched real oem, and cant find it there either...
regards
jorge saca

·
Banned
448 Posts
free bump. this is interesting

·
Registered
307 Posts
Is your motor the M54 B25 or the M56 B25? I take it the motor in the pics is a M54 B30. Not sure but it could be the purge canister

·
Modifiziertes ///Mitglied
27,035 Posts
Is your motor the M54 B25 or the M56 B25? I take it the motor in the pics is a M54 B30. Not sure but it could be the purge canister
+1

Would be good to know what engine model we are looking at.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the engine on the pics is a m54b30 (dont know what year exactly) my engine is a m54b25 2002 model.
i just went to a junkyard to see some more examples, i saw a 2003 m54b30, and a 2001 m54b25, and none of them had that black "can", and the hole in the intake manifold had a rubber cap on.
in my car, there is no "black can", but i do have the hose that i "think" went to it.
the guy at the junk yard told me that the "can" is a sort of "vacuum recipient", but he didnt know the purpose of it, and he said some cars come with it, and some dont.....
i would like to know what exactly is it for, and wich models have it and which dont.
regards
jorge saca

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i found out what its for guys...
thats just a vacuum line that AA uses for the top of the head cover...
i did find out that my manifold lets air out through somewhere....
i just put another one in, and will give it a try later today.
regards
jorge saca

·
Banned
448 Posts
but any news on that black cylinder?

·
Registered
598 Posts
Maybe go to realoem and look at the SLEV (super low emission vehicles) that are m56 engines -- they might have an extra can, which your m54 doesn't have.

What is at the other end of your rubber hose?

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
nope, those pics are not from a SULEV m56 motor.
its an m54b30....
AA had that vac line go to the top of the head cover, at the very front of the engine.
regards
jorge saca

1 - 11 of 11 Posts