BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Are we there yet??
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the OEM 323/328 exhausts I have seen do no have this extra part on the top of the exhaust circled in yellow.

I am curious to what it is? I am going to be mounting this exhaust soon and I wanted to know why its there.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
325/330's also have them on their second (last) resonator.

It's a harmonic damper designed to absorb/offset resonance vibration on the actual muffler at a certain frequency to reduce interior vibration/resonance(60hz on the 325, I'm not sure what it is on the 330).

I have a 328, mine has this so I don't know why you don't currently have one?

·
Are we there yet??
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
325/330's also have them on their second (last) resonator.

It's a harmonic damper designed to absorb/offset resonance vibration on the actual muffler at a certain frequency to reduce interior vibration/resonance(60hz on the 325, I'm not sure what it is on the 330).

I have a 328, mine has this so I don't know why you don't currently have one?
I may have one on the resonator (never looked) but this is on the exhaust (muffler). I have a 328 exhaust sitting in my garage that does not have one.

It makes sense though thanks!

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I may have one on the resonator (never looked) but this is on the exhaust (muffler). I have a 328 exhaust sitting in my garage that does not have one.

It makes sense though thanks!
My 328Ci muffler has it, It must have changed during certain VIN#'s ?

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,597 Posts
i didn't have that on my old exhaust. does it go into the muffler? i do know that some of the later mufflers that are two pipes have an adapter for a single pipe(323/328). i don't think that it mounted so high, so i don't think that it. but something to consider if it's not the dampener. automatic cars have some sort of vibration dampener if i'm not mistaken

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,597 Posts

·
Are we there yet??
6,803 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
yikes, my exhaust must have been replaced sometime in the past.

But that doesn't make sense that it's only on automatic equipped cars. My last 325Ci (5speed manual) had this on its second resonator. It must have been replaced sometime as well with an automatic one if it is true. I can't confirm the muffler though as I don't recall. Picture of it is below.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I personally don't think its really important, though it is a rather heavy peice of equipment to have relative to the actual resonator.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,597 Posts
Has to be on more then automatics, the ZHP is only manual from what I am aware of, well at least this one was.

But yea that makes sense.
they made zhp automatics, it has the 3.64 diff with the finned diff cover on those. taken from the Z4.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,597 Posts
Has to be on more then automatics, the ZHP is only manual from what I am aware of,
leprechauns must have put it on while the unicorns built the zhp automatics :p

·
Registered
9,566 Posts
Damn. My ZHP muffler didn't come with that!

·
Registered
15,205 Posts
there are plenty of ZHP autos out there... it's just that everyone is scared to talk about it if they have one. :p

...but my car is an automatic and I don't have one of those things. my zhp muffler never had one either. '99 328i

1 - 18 of 18 Posts