BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I am in the process of redoing/refreshing a 2001 BMW 330ci and the aircover cover/door crumbled to pieces when touched. Do they sell new flap/covers or do I need a whole new door panel.

Any thoughts or suggestions is appreciated!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK, I looked at realoem and the door panel is listed as 1 part number for the whole thing. geesh.

I guess I need to hunt down some good door panels that won't turn to dust.

·
OEM ///PLUS
2003 M3 6MT Slicktop
23,806 Posts
are you talking about the vapor barrier?

Reactions: fumigator

·
Registered
838 Posts
So I am in the process of redoing/refreshing a 2001 BMW 330ci and the aircover cover/door crumbled to pieces when touched. Do they seal new flap/covers or do I need a whole new door?

Any thoughts or suggestions is appreciated!
Are you talking about the weather shield that keeps the rain from filling your footwells?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
I vote a- pillar cover, but given OP's allergy to specific details, it could also be the right hand side of the dash.

Might also be a random 777 part, you know, too...

t
Does anyone know how to unhook the thing that keeps that stuff from leaking all over the place?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The details are clear.
It's the plastic break away cover that is glued to the door panel.
It is bolted in 4 locations and has a netting/mesh that it hinges/breaks away on.

REALoem does not list a part number so there is no specific name for it.

1. No part number
2. No name
this means it is a flappy thing, a a thingamajig, being as such.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
The details are clear.
No, they obviously were not.

REALoem does not list a part number so there is no specific name for it.
Yes, but if you want HELP, you use a DESCRIPTIVE statement like "airBAG panel in the inner door"

You're talking about a part of the door panel, I can now see from your picture.

You need a new door panel to replace that.

t

·
Premium Member
2003 330cic, 2003 325iT
5,484 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I just picked up some 05 panels. they should have 5 more years of life before the plastic gives out.
It's amazing on these e46 how some plastic turns to dust while other is just fine.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
4,043 Posts
I just picked up some 05 panels. they should have 5 more years of life before the plastic gives out.
It's amazing on these e46 how some plastic turns to dust while other is just fine.
Ou contrair missure. BMW 3 series seem to go from good to bad, skipping a generation in-between. E30's, leaked but run forever. Great interior quality.
E36, absolute garbage with interior bits.
E46 VG quality.
E90 not as bad as the 36 but a step back.
F30 a step up.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
4,043 Posts
Ya know, I'm reminded of a story I read in automotive news a year ago.

Many of the German auto suppliers are working with their suppliers (Lear for one, comes to mind) about improving the quality of the interior bits.
Many a German car can go the distance however image is an issue. To Wit:

A BMW, Audi or VW is on the used car lot with 75K+ miles on it. It has the usual issues of pillar trim pulling away, headliner becoming detached, rubberized coating peeling off on the wear/frequent touch spots. The average Joe looks at this and a bad image of German cars is assumed.
Believe it or not, they're looking to improve this.
I hope they succeed, for all our sake.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
Heat and uv has a lot to do with degrading plastic. Cars from hot sunny climates have more of this, especially dark color cars with dark interiors. Up north (I'm near Chicago) we have more problems with salt eating everything. I would gladly replace some interior bits instead of dealing with all the rust.

Sent from my S61 using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts