BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My tires have 80% tread left but are approaching 5yrs old. Should they be replaced soon due to age? What do others think about lifetime of tires before replacement?

Thanks
Mike

·
Registered
75 Posts
I believe 6 years is the recommended amount. Depending on how you drive is a major factor, but its your choice if you want to take the chance. Better to have some fresh rubber isnt it?

·
Registered
'04 325i, '02 325iT
703 Posts
If you're approaching 5 years old it's something to start thinking about in the next couple of years, but unless you are seeing actual signs of aging (cracking, discoloration, bulging, etc) I wouldn't be overly concerned at this point. Most tire manufacturers recommend 6-7 years based on not only age, but estimated/typical usage during that period. If your car sits a lot and you're not putting on a lot of miles then that is a pretty conservative measure. Manufacturers also say 10 years is maximum limit regardless of mileage or how much tread is left. Keep in mind, they are also in the business of selling tires.

Where your car is stored and under what conditions are big factors to consider besides just years and mileage. UV and heat break tires down faster than if your car is in a temperature controlled garage.

Plan on inspecting occasionally or making a note of having a shop inspect them if your car is in for other service.

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
2,839 Posts
Generally agree with the above. Likely any shop would NOT give any blessing as to fitness, owing to the litigious world we live in.

·
Registered
E46 '04 330Ci convertible 750K km
1,015 Posts
Few years ago UAE implemented new rule prohibiting annual registration vehicle renewal with tires older than 5 yo, no matter of their condition. They also restrict sales of tires older than 2 years. Wise decision, judging the speed limits and high temperatures, as well as lack of proper servicing etc.
As mentioned above, storage condition, overall usage , brand - all that matter.
As tires aren't that expensive and they are vital for your safety, I wouldn't wait much longer.

·
Registered
189 Posts
My tires have 80% tread left but are approaching 5yrs old. Should they be replaced soon due to age? What do others think about lifetime of tires before replacement?

Thanks
Mike
10yrs must. Otherwise depends on sticky or loss of traction or weathering cracks. I dumped snow tires for M3 at ten years because they lost dry and wet weather traction, not snow traction. With Michelin pilot cup tires and 3-5k miles per ear I get maybe 5 years before they get hard from heat cycling or age. New tires are definitely better traction if somewhat squirmy for500 miles...

·
Registered
E46 '04 330Ci convertible 750K km
1,015 Posts
It is not only traction. Older tire gets, drier rubber compound became. while using, it could create micro cracks and tear / expolde under load. Especially our low profile tires and pretty dynamic drive style.

·
Registered
4,335 Posts
Most people would not wait beyond 4-5 years. (Most people I know wouldn't wait past 4).

Ask yourself what you are waiting for? It seems you are waiting for them to fail.

People who have never seen those tires cannot offer you informed guesses. Know what you are waiting for.

·
Registered
158 Posts

Thanks
Mike
Yes. All you're waiting for is the wrong bump to require a tow.

maw

·
Registered
177 Posts
Start checking at 5 years. If you have Michelins they say no longer than 10 years
Same for Continental

1 - 11 of 11 Posts