BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
BMW Land Barge
1,378 Posts
It provides an alternate path for air into the engine in case your intake is submerged in water. Basically, it keeps you from accidentally killing your engine.

·
Registered
668 Posts
it's not really a 2nd air filter, it's an emergency air inlet that opens when there a change in the pressure caused by the filter being submerged into water. just a little insurance to prevent water being sucked into ur engine. While this might never happen, I think better safe than sorry. It allows u to bring ur intake closer to the front where it might be more susceptible to water. I think a magazine did a review where a guy had his car with AEM bypass valve put onto a clear plexi tubing intake. Revved the car up and then put the end of the clear tubing into a bucket of water. The water sucked half way up to the bypass valve after which the valve opened and air entered from that point.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Like han-han said.... when water starts coming in the filter, air is drawn instead through the AEM bypass valve...

·
INDEED
1,135 Posts
unless you're driving in 6 inches of water, you probably don't need it. I live in Seattle, and yes, there's lotsa rain here, and been fine without one.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts