E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
4,171 Posts
Lots of people know plenty about it. So can you!

Spend some time here:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=BMW+Z1

Basically, it was a late '80s roadster model with E30 325 mechanicals, never officially sold in the US but a few have been brought over privately. The car featured a number of unique and innovative features including composite material construction, drop-down doors, and the "Z axle" technology that is part of what makes your E46 handle so well.

Love your BMW? Enrich your knowledge with the history, as the history is what made the car you have now. Ignorance of BMWs past in a BMW enthusiast is like a virgin nymphomaniac.

- Rob

·
Mod Squad
9,629 Posts
Well, the Z1 was released a few years before the Z3 came about. Z1 was pretty cool, it had removable (retractable?) doors. I think it may have been largely based on e30 technology. That's about all I know. I think they're neat, I've never even seen one in the States in my almost 6 years living here.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the whole chassis does not meet DOT safety standards in the US. I used to see tons of them when I lived in Germany, a few guys even left me drive theirs. It was pretty cool, the doors are :pimpin:

4,171 Posts
Chris3Duke said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think the whole chassis does not meet DOT safety standards in the US.
Actual "meeting standards" is different than "tested for DOT standards".

BMW never put the Z1 through the DOT/NHTSA certification process. Why not? Probably has to do with the volume of anticipated sales. With a certification cost per chassis of (at last estimate) in the $1M+ range, it does not make sense to do this with a car whose total sales may be just 2-3X that amount.

I'd rather have an accident in a Z1 than many other "certified" small cars. Germans don't make origami cars, they are crash-survivable than other makes.

- Rob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts