BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a threat where the topic was mods to a steptronic. People mentioned Dinan tranny chip which I have. Two posts mentioned an SMG swap. I'm a newbie and haven't heard of that. What does it entail? Is it available for a '00 323i? What is the approximate cost? And would it make the car more fun to drive? TIA.

·
TheOnlyConstantIsChange
4,301 Posts
Its a switch for the steptronic owners, they simply get a SMG M3 wheel and have the ability to shift from teh paddles on the steering wheel, the shifts aren't fast but I would assume more fun. Im not sure if you can do it on your 323i, first you need steptronic, I don't know if they switched yet then, also I think you would need to buy a new airbag cuz yours won't fit I don't think :dunno:

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
tpzblu330ci said:
Its a switch for the steptronic owners, they simply get a SMG M3 wheel and have the ability to shift from teh paddles on the steering wheel, the shifts aren't fast but I would assume more fun...
That's the paddle shift mod which often gets incorrectly labeled as "SMG mod". (not correcting your post, but simply explaining to the original poster.)

It is possible to do a real SMG swap. You would need the actual SMG tranny w/ the hydralic unit and also the ECU. I don't know of anyone who has done this but in theory there's no reason why it can't be done.

·
926 Posts
Jspeed said:

That's the paddle shift mod which often gets incorrectly labeled as "SMG mod". (not correcting your post, but simply explaining to the original poster.)

It is possible to do a real SMG swap. You would need the actual SMG tranny w/ the hydralic unit and also the ECU. I don't know of anyone who has done this but in theory there's no reason why it can't be done.
Not on a steptronic. It would be possible on an E46 manual. You can of course go from auto to manual to smg.

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
mattman said:
Not on a steptronic. It would be possible on an E46 manual. You can of course go from auto to manual to smg.
No, it doesn't work that way. SMG is a complete package. Yes the SMG tranny is basically a manual tranny w/ some fancy hydralics but you can't just "add SMG" to a manual transmission. Regardless of whether you have auto or manual if you want to do an SMG swap you'll need the whole thing.

·
Registered
3,090 Posts
He is correct

You have to see the part schematic to know but yes it's an entire package. I may post it later. You can't just add SMG to a manual since they are different suppliers anyway. Also there is a different ECU and SMG module and some other things.

Jspeed said:

No, it doesn't work that way. SMG is a complete package. Yes the SMG tranny is basically a manual tranny w/ some fancy hydralics but you can't just "add SMG" to a manual transmission. Regardless of whether you have auto or manual if you want to do an SMG swap you'll need the whole thing.

·
Registered
874 Posts
can you buy the parts need to do this swap from BMW. if so what would the cost be

1 - 8 of 8 Posts