BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preface: I am going to include multiple ways to spell key words in all titles of threads that I start from now on - makes it much easier to search and find what people are looking for without having to enter multiple search strings (and waiting 15s each time).

Onto the topic. What is a mis-fire and what does it feel like? How do I know if I am misfiring? What are common causes for it? I am reading alot about them lately and have no idea what you all are talking about.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
I misfire occurs when a cylinder fails to produce an adequate combustion. If your engine is misfiring, it will likely throw a P0300 code at the very least. a misfire feels like the engine skips a beat, you'll be able to hear it in the exhaust tone as well as feel the vibrations. Misfires can be caused by 4 main sources: no/weak spark, incorrect fuel mixture, incorrect timing, and low compression.

·
Registered
7,029 Posts
Just a tip as far as the title goes... you don't need to put two spelling in the title. If you look at the bottom of the thread there is a thing labeled "Tags" that you can add all you want to in order to help search results. ;)

·
Registered
571 Posts
Misfire equals CEL...

Skipping a beat is a good way to describe it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts