BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was not at MFest nor do I know the particulars of a failure on the HPF race car that I heard was the OS Giken diff.
Was it the OS Giken?
What were the circumstances? A drag launch or a HPDE?

Now, I hear it wasnt the Gikken at all, but rather some other differential component. Just curious.

·
Registered
8,012 Posts
Bounce off your rev limiter in neutral and drop it into first, no better teacher than experience.

I shouldn't laugh, but that's the funniest thing I've read all day. :lmao:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
This is of some concern to me. I dont want to blow out my brand new OS Giken by asking it to do something that is is not designed to do.
When you have 700+ HP stuff breaks.. even stuff designed not to break. You drive your car hard, expect to break something.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Yes, yes, stuff breaks. Not exactly a news flash.
There are conflicting stories weather or not it was the OS Gikken that failed.
Let me rephrase my question:
What happened during the differential mishap that HPF had at Mfest? I am curious. I rephrased it in the OP too.

I just read that they solved it in a mere 1.5 hours. Thats fast! Those guys are good.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I broke my OS Giken equipped diff. The pinon gear cracked while the OS Giken LSD unit was fine. Don't know what caused it as I was crusing around when it happened, also interested to hear what happened to the HPF car.

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
I broke my OS Giken equipped diff. The pinon gear cracked while the OS Giken LSD unit was fine. Don't know what caused it as I was crusing around when it happened, also interested to hear what happened to the HPF car.
I would sort of expect this to be the (first) weak point. What ratio were you running? Torque capacity seems to go down as the ratio gets shorter.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would sort of expect this to be the (first) weak point. What ratio were you running? Torque capacity seems to go down as the ratio gets shorter.
Would the pinion gear be a good candidate for that whole cryo thing where any metal components can be strengthened by re aligning the molecular structure. Isnt that what cryo treatment does?

Looks like its 60 dollars to treat a pinion gear and ring.

http://www.cartercryo.com/autoprice.html

·
Registered
5,737 Posts
Dunno. Seems like a good idea, can't imagine it would hurt but don't know if it would make enough of a difference relative to how much power the HPF cars are making over stock. I think these types of failure are just a fact of life for HPF cars with driving style being a huge factor in the failure rate.

·
Registered
3,676 Posts
Sorry guys for getting back to you so late. I've been busy :) It turned out nothing happened to the OS Giken diff at all. I heard a whining sound I wasn't used to so I asked the guys to replace the diff after the drag races. Once we put the new diff in the whine was still there. Even so, we sent the diff back to OS Giken Japan and they said it was flawless. While they had it they decided to turn on 8 more of the clutch packs in it but we have yet to try out the modified OS Giken. So we now have 2 perfect OS Giken diffs for the car. :)

Chris.

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
So what did the whining sound turn out to be?
Yes. What was it in the end? Thanks for chiming in, Chris. Are you going to suggest to all of us to "turn on" the extra eight clutch packs contained in the OS Giken. I guess you need to use unit first. I am not sure how the "turning on" is done. What was the manufacturers reasoning for this?

And would cryo treating the pinion gear be worth the fee plus all the shipping? As long as a part is readily available, say during a rebuild or mod, I would LOVE to see a thread on WHAT parts might benefit from Cryo treatment.

I dont want to throw money away, but I would like to take advantage of a fairly reasonably priced technology IF it really strengthens a part considerably.

I know cryo is becoming more popular. Should we be paying closer attention to it?

·
Registered
166 Posts
Yes. What was it in the end? Thanks for chiming in, Chris. Are you going to suggest to all of us to "turn on" the extra eight clutch packs contained in the OS Giken. I guess you need to use unit first. I am not sure how the "turning on" is done. What was the manufacturers reasoning for this?

And would cryo treating the pinion gear be worth the fee plus all the shipping? As long as a part is readily available, say during a rebuild or mod, I would LOVE to see a thread on WHAT parts might benefit from Cryo treatment.

I dont want to throw money away, but I would like to take advantage of a fairly reasonably priced technology IF it really strengthens a part considerably.

I know cryo is becoming more popular. Should we be paying closer attention to it?
You should really be talking to the cryo people...starting a thread on what might benefit treatment is pretty useless IMHO. Google it and start researching.

If you're concerned about $60 + shipping you're probably best to keep your diff sealed up...its costs way more than that to remove and install a diff...again IMHO

·
Registered
1,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You should really be talking to the cryo people...starting a thread on what might benefit treatment is pretty useless IMHO. Google it and start researching.
oi
If you're concerned about $60 + shipping you're probably best to keep your diff sealed up...its costs way more than that to remove and install a diff...again IMHO
You mis read. Look again. I said, "As long as a part is readily available, say during a rebuild or mod."

And I am not worried about anything. I just prefer not to spend money, time and effort on technology that doesnt really help.Or does it?

As far as talking to the cryo people, sure. They are going to say all great things. I would rather get the opinion or results from a third party who has nothing to gain or lose when giving their answer.

The cryo question does deserve a thread all of its own. I know it is supposed to do pretty good things with Brake rotors. What cryo can do with a pinion gear is a good question. Yeah, I will start doing my own research, In the mean time, I do wonder about its effectiveness. It cant be all that great or the buzz on it would be much much greater. I dont think I have heard hardly any personal experiences from M3 owners. I would like to.

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Sorry guys for getting back to you so late. I've been busy :) It turned out nothing happened to the OS Giken diff at all. I heard a whining sound I wasn't used to so I asked the guys to replace the diff after the drag races. Once we put the new diff in the whine was still there. Even so, we sent the diff back to OS Giken Japan and they said it was flawless. While they had it they decided to turn on 8 more of the clutch packs in it but we have yet to try out the modified OS Giken. So we now have 2 perfect OS Giken diffs for the car. :)

Chris.
Great to hear! Maybe I will visit the strip again!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts