BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stumbled upon this article at the doctor's office today. It's from a September 1999 Popular Mechanic's issue:

2001 BMW M3
"The BMW M3 has always been fast. But next September you'll be able to specify an even faster one: The factory motorsports crew has shoehorned the V8 motor from the M5 into the much smaller M3 chassis. How does 350 hp sound! That's what the six-cylinder M3 will have for the 2000 model year. A few months after that, the 400-hp 5.0 liter V8 version will go on sale here. Let's see what Mercedes-Benz and AMG do to up the ante."

Attachments

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
John from jersey said:
this article already proves to be incorrect, look at the dates again
September 2000 would usher in the new 2001 model, wouldn't it? I'm just curious as to what happened to the V8 model they spoke of. Even the CSL didn't get it - some 2 years later. :dunno:

·
Law Enforcer
2,409 Posts
The only BMW that gets that is the Hartge (or maybe the Hamann?) , but traction is a very big issue. But it's faster than diarrhea on the way out! :D

·
Bimmerfest Co-Founder
10,883 Posts
For one is it Popular Mechanics, not exactly what I would consider a great source of auto news. Second even mags like AutoWeek get bad information, third BMW could have changed their mind.

Don’t see what is so :dunno: about this.

Tim

1 - 6 of 6 Posts