BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone!
Need some help deciding which grille to stick with....

Chrome

Chrome outer with black center

Matte Black

**Photoshoped In**

·
Registered
64 Posts
I think I prefer the chrome with black center. Middle photo. I'm eventually going to have to replace these parts too.

·
Registered
518 Posts
Depends what kind of look you want to go for - personally, I prefer either the full black, or chrome-outer with black-inners look. I plasti-dipped mine black; I think they look great on Steel Grey. I've seen cars that look great with the chrome though, too. Always thought one of my friend's Sparkling Graphite ZHP looked great with chromes, but he recently switched to full black as well (plasti-dip)

IMO, full black looks better if you've got the matte-shadowline trim to accompany it along with the headlight shrouds. Btw, nice halos. Looks like the Khoalty ones, same on my car. :thumbup:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Depends what kind of look you want to go for - personally, I prefer either the full black, or chrome-outer with black-inners look. I plasti-dipped mine black; I think they look great on Steel Grey. I've seen cars that look great with the chrome though, too. Always thought one of my friend's Sparkling Graphite ZHP looked great with chromes, but he recently switched to full black as well (plasti-dip)

IMO, full black looks better if you've got the matte-shadowline trim to accompany it along with the headlight shrouds. Btw, nice halos. Looks like the Khoalty ones, same on my car. :thumbup:
Thank you for your feedback. TBH the look I am going with is mostly having it as sleek & authentic but still having that aggressive look, you know what i mean. I agree with you on the Chrome & Black-Inner. So far, My outer trim is still Chrome but sooner or later I am planning on getting it gloss black.

You are right about the Halos. They are Khaoltys and they are amazing. People under estimate them a lot and go with cheaper AE or they don't even look around.

I think I prefer the chrome with black center. Middle photo. I'm eventually going to have to replace these parts too.

Thank you man for your feedback!:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Also this is how my car looks like

·
Registered
518 Posts

Looks super clean man - I dig it. Honestly, if you're thinking about going gloss black for window trim, consider gloss black kidneys as an option. I've seen it on blue before, and it looks fantastic. To me, it's all about trying to make it match as much as possible; that's what looks best, when it all flows.

And yeah, the halos are great. Wish I would've opted for Orion V4's, but for $130 with a 2 year warranty, you can't beat the Khoalty AE's. Great kit, awesome price, easy install. Oh yeah, and nice CSL wheels too! Can't wait to get a hold of some Apex ARC-8's one of these days.

Sent from my 831C using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
518 Posts
Another option in the mix - paint matched-outers with black inners. Not my pic, but gives you an idea of that with the gloss-black shadowline setup:

Sent from my 831C using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
8,569 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Middle pic.

·
Registered
28,449 Posts

I would go pro stock BMW and remove *ALL* stickers and tint. And that front bracket. (gotta buy the strip)

Fun place to shoot. Here's a casual snap in that same spot I did years ago. Spot is played out but still fun

Attachments

·
Registered
293 Posts
I would stick with chrome on your car. I don't like chrome as it tends to look cheap, but going black or paint matched on a darker car will prevent your grills from sticking out visually. I think lighter cars look good with black grills, but darker cars don't. I've never understood the appeal of "murdering out" a car, as it now has no distinct features.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Matte black. I have the BMW Performance Glossy Black and I have received so many compliments. People say it looks aggressive. My car is Alpine white so the contrast is very striking.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts