E46 Fanatics Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
I think a poll format would be more useful if you are trying to get a current snapshot of what people are using.

Personally, I was using Mobil 1 0W-40 and recently switched to Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5W-40. Both were used at 7,500 mile OCI's.

Mann or Mahle filters only.

Walmart (cheapest place you can buy quality oil) recently started stocking Castrol Edge 5W-40, so maybe I'll give that a try.

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
that's why I have D's Mean Green valve cover. It's Carbon Fiber with patented Nano Beagle Fur weaved in with green dye. CFRBF Technology. :hi:
Well done. That beagle fur is a real game-changer. Too light and too strong. Shame it was banned in F1.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Just bought 2 5QT jugs of castrol edge ful synthetic 0w-40. and a MANN filter, going to change my oil today and report back, as of right now i have loud valve lifters, I'm sure the dealership i bought the car from used some random 5w-30 oil that wasn't LL-01 approved. so hopefully this 0w-40 stuff works its magic :)

·
Registered
4,385 Posts
Just bought 2 5QT jugs of castrol edge ful synthetic 0w-40. and a MANN filter, going to change my oil today and report back, as of right now i have noice valve lifters, I'm sure the dealership i bought the car from used some random 5w-30 oil that wasn't LL-01 approved. so hopefully this 0w-40 stuff works its magic :)
If there is a question on what oil was used in the car previously, it might be worthwhile to go through a basic cleaning process.

Specifically, a thousand miles before you change your oil, you can add a can of Seafoam (or the STP equivalent) to the crankcase. Long, spirited drives will be necessary afterwards.

I did this for the first two oil changes after buying my car.

·
Premium Member
2016 340i & 2002 325Ci
3,623 Posts
I've been running Mobil1 0w-40 for a while now. Next change though I'm gonna try the Castrol 0w-30 (German Castrol?)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.