BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2004 325Ci 5MT M54B25 Stock / 2005 330Ci 6MT M54B30
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What else while I am in there?

Replacing intake manifold gaskets, o-rings, jet pump hoses, egr hoses, all sensors, coolant lines.

All intake tubes, disa, throttle body, icv, MAF, were replaced in last 3 months.

195k all original stuff under there.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics mobile app

·
Registered
26,069 Posts
...as long as you mean 'hard pipes' when you say coolant lines...and I'm sure you do.

Maybe get a wire test-tube brush sort of thing to clean out the ports where the hard pipes fit. Really a pain cleaning them out...so something like this brush, attached to a drill might make the job easier. Also, smear some rtv on the o-rings when you reinstall them since you won't get down to bare metal, I don't think.

Good luck...have fun, beer, patience! :)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
CCV is gone, OFHG done. Coolant soft and hard lines are part of the plan. Already cleaned the area and have IM soaking in hot water and super clean.

I was thinking STARTER? It looks like a PITA to replace with everything installed.

Starter is original and has not had any issues.

Sent from my iPhone using E46Fanatics

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
When I had my manifold off I did the OFHG again just because... it wasn’t leaking but had around 100k and 7 years on it. Also because a Viton gasket is available now.

·
Registered
26,069 Posts
CCV is gone, OFHG done. Coolant soft and hard lines are part of the plan. Already cleaned the area and have IM soaking in hot water and super clean.

I was thinking STARTER? It looks like a PITA to replace with everything installed.

Starter is original and has not had any issues.

When my mechanic put my intake mani back on, he routed the cable from the starter so he could get to it easily, he said, if needed later on. I never needed a starter...and I was up there in mileage. Not sure the specific routing he used, or if it was a good idea...but I trust him. :)

·
Registered
2005 e46 330xi 6spd
132 Posts
Heater pipes too if you didn't include those in the coolant lines item. You might mean vacuum hoses, do all those. I replaced the F connector but you may have already.

Pull and clean out the dipstick guide tube during CCV. Replace the o-rings.

Do the O2PilotMod too.

·
Registered
558 Posts
I have just discovered at 166K miles that my Crank Position Sensor has gone out causing my car to quit running at random. It's parked now waiting for the sensor to arrive. I share this because the sensor is under the starter and will be much easier to replace while the intake manifold is out. I would do that before the starter. Good Luck, I hope these hints help you out.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
UPDATE: What else while doing intake manifold?

All right... with all the advice ... THANK YOU...

Ordered Starter, Camshaft Sensors, o-rings, etc.... - I hate ordering parts after the start of the work...

So far I have removed everything including the :censor::censor::censor: starter (WHO IN GERMANY DESIGNED THAT).

Replace so far pending the recently order parts:
- Removed the usual intake items (they are all new) so just put them aside
- SOAKED Intake and cleaned, rinsed, dried (see pix)
- used Super Clean from Walmart and a 19 gal bin worked great
- All hard coolant lines - DONE
- All soft coolant lines to the hard coolant lines - DONE
- Soft coolant lines to the firewall/valve - DONE
- Refilled coolant - DONE
- All o-rings on everything that was taken out (Injectors top/bottom, Air Distribution, Dipstick) - DONE
- Coolant Temp Sensor - DONE (lesson - do this while the coolant is out, otherwise you have a coolant spill)
- Intake Air Temp Sensor (DID NOT NEED it since I have the 5 wire MAF)
- Starter - PENDING ORDERED PARTS
- Camshaft sensors - PENDING ORDERED PARTS
- EGR Hoses to IM and Tank - pending re-assembly
- Jet Pump hose to Intake - pending re-assembly

Waiting till WED 6/3 for the parts.

Will share an update once I get further.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts