BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Apparently my Thermostat is cracked and leaking some coolant. What else should I have checked and or replaced when getting the job done?
E46 M3

·
Registered
E30M3 Race F10 535 R1150Rt M Coupe
2,927 Posts
The thermostat is encapsulated inside the thermostat housing. If cracked (how you can know is beyond me) it would jam.
I suspect you mean the thermostat housing?
If so:
Thermostat & seal, new housing, the two O Rings for the pipe out the back of the housing.

This would be an excellent time to review your belts/various tensioners/rollers.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The thermostat is encapsulated inside the thermostat housing. If cracked (how you can know is beyond me) it would jam.
I suspect you mean the thermostat housing?
If so:
Thermostat & seal, new housing, the two O Rings for the pipe out the back of the housing.

This would be an excellent time to review your belts/various tensioners/rollers.
Should I have the water pump done as well at the same time? Car has 96k miles. I think al the cooling components are original.

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
A great idea. We're doing one now. Use a genuine pump only!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ugh, dealer quoted $990 apparently that was without the waterpump. They want $1400 with the waterpump. Includes a hose, seals, o rings, new coolant, and labor of course.

·
Registered
2004 BMW 330ci M-sport
14 Posts
Ugh, dealer quoted $990 apparently that was without the waterpump. They want $1400 with the waterpump. Includes a hose, seals, o rings, new coolant, and labor of course.
Seems a bit steep on price, I wouldn't go to the dealer if you're going to have someone else do it for you. The water pump and thermostat are relatively easy DIY's (they were one of my first jobs, done with very little past experience, 50s Kid tutorial on YouTube helped). Your water pump will likely fail in the next 20k miles so it would be smart to catch that now.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I did thermostat yesterday, took about an hour and a half, only because coolant was still pretty warm. It's pretty straight forward, except for installing the clamp on bottom hose. Unless you have skinny hands or a kid that could help. Be careful with thermostat o-ring, i got Borg Warner and o ring was shit, it actually broke while installing the housing.
Also, save yourself $1400 and stay away from stealer. I believe for that kind of money you would be able to overhaul every single piece of rubber under the hood and still have money left for beer.
Good luck

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,927 Posts
O Ring likely slipped out of the groove? Pretty common. I usually place 2 small dabs of weatherstrip glue to hold it in place.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was just in this spot. Please do not pay a dealer $1400 to do this job. Takes about and hour to complete, and my only mechanical experience is from working on this car through YouTube/DIY’s and the forums. If you have a friend that has changed oil or you have some basic hand tools you should be fine.

Be sure to buy the pump from FCP for a little more money.

You can replace belts, radiator hoses, pulleys, and tensioners during this job, as well as the fan clutch and blades. If you wanted to go crazy I would replace the radiator, depending on how many miles your car has. Check on the “ShoplifeTV” channel on YouTube. He has an exact video on how to change the water pump in our engines. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
160 Posts
Possibly, but the new o-ring looked and felt very flimsy. When i compared it to the original one it was thinner, i can't remember exactly by how much but it was quite noticable with my caliper.

Since we're on thermostat subject, anyone has an idea why my coolant temp gauge gets to the middle and then drops by couple of millimeters on the scale? Plus oil temp gauge has a hard time getting passed middle dot between 120° and 210° while driving on highway? It seems too cool and temp needle doesn't get anywhere near 210° even when driving on country roads with some traffic lights. I know outside temperature has dropped but it hasn't gotten that cold in northeast Illinois yet. I replaced thermostat thinking that was causing coolant temp to drop but it hasn't made a difference.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ended up leaving the car at the dealer after they diagnosed the leak to just complete the job.. they came down to $1290 including tax. I would have had to pay about $100 just for the diagnosis which they don’t charge if you repair through them.

I priced parts out on Turner, FCP, and ECS, came out to about $750 after tax. If I went that route and paid a mechanic friend $200 I’d be at $950 + the $100 diagnosis at BMW so $1050. So essentially only paying $240 more for a dealer to do it and they warranty the parts and labor for 2 years plus I have a loaner car from them to drive and so more convenient.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ended up leaving the car at the dealer after they diagnosed the leak to just complete the job.. they came down to $1290 including tax. I would have had to pay about $100 just for the diagnosis which they don’t charge if you repair through them.

I priced parts out on Turner, FCP, and ECS, came out to about $750 after tax. If I went that route and paid a mechanic friend $200 I’d be at $950 + the $100 diagnosis at BMW so $1050. So essentially only paying $240 more for a dealer to do it and they warranty the parts and labor for 2 years plus I have a loaner car from them to drive and so more convenient.
I didn’t realize they were including parts! I thought that was just the labor! Definitely the right move sometime to let a professional do it. The math works in your favor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
193 Posts
Should I have the water pump done as well at the same time? Car has 96k miles. I think al the cooling components are original.
I have just replaced my radiator, hoses, and expansion tank At 113k. Waterpump and thermostat still stock. Also had the serpbelt, pulleys and tensioner replaced But the SERP had 60+ kmiles and 8 years. Point is that your car is almost 20 years led, a coolant component has failed...go through the whole thing.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
It does not take an hour unless you've already done it many times.
Plan on spending 3-6 hours on this, if you are learning

BorgWarner Thermo & Salieri pump are what you need.
Anyone telling you OEM only is clueless to BMW repairs.

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
How the hell did parts cost $750?
Parts should have been $150

Thermostat is $42
Water pump is $48
2 hoses are $50 total

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

Thermostat is $42
Water pump is $48
2 hoses are $50 total

OEM tstat ($100), OEM water pump (this was highly recommended vs OE on these forums.. genuine is $350), tstat housing ($100), bunch of seals and gaskets ($30) and tstat housing return pipe ($75). Total is $655 + 45 in tax.. oh and coolant

·
Registered
160 Posts

Thermostat is $42
Water pump is $48
2 hoses are $50 total

Those parts are for M54, not s54

1 - 20 of 29 Posts