BMW E46 Fanatics Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car: '02 330xi, obviously pre-Sirius head unit.

Purchased correct head unit (April '04 unit). Have DICE kit. Buying TomTom nav which is Bluetooth-compatible, so all 3 bases covered (iPod, Sirius-compatible, and Bluetooth-compatible).

Question: want to get Sirius in the car, so what else do I need to get? Do I need a Sirius module from BMW, or can I just get a Sirius plug-n-play system and run it through the DICE?

·
Registered
338 Posts

Purchased correct head unit (April '04 unit). Have DICE kit. Buying TomTom nav which is Bluetooth-compatible, so all 3 bases covered (iPod, Sirius-compatible, and Bluetooth-compatible).

Question: want to get Sirius in the car, so what else do I need to get? Do I need a Sirius module from BMW, or can I just get a Sirius plug-n-play system and run it through the DICE?
The DICE has a pass-thru aux. input, but it will not be dual-function. It can only do one or the other, either iPod, or aux. in. If you've upgraded to an '04 Sirius-compatible factory head unit, then you would use the Sirius kit found here:

http://www.bavariansoundwerks.com/product.php/II=505/_cid=301

We have these in stock, so if you have any questions feel free to ask or even call!!!

·
Registered
559 Posts
from everything I've read about the DICE (I haven't installed mine yet, but I've got it), you should be able to switch back and forth between the Ipod input and a minijack aux input just by changing which "track" you're playing on the head unit.

obviously, you can't use both at the same time, but why would you want to? I've got a Sirius unit that has a built in FM modulator that will be hardwired using the DICE aux input.

that info is straight out of the User Manual for the DICE (top middle of second page)
http://support.diceelectronics.com/files/users_manual_rev_B01.pdf

·
european auto source
12,581 Posts

This would depend on what features you want from your Sirius.

AUX will give a simple audio-in, this is good for portable units. This will not offer any type of steering wheel control, presets or text display. For a cheap and easy way to get Sirius - this is the way to go.

BMW offers a Sirius kit that utilizes your factory Steering wheel controls, factory presets and text display. Since you already purchased a newer HU that supports Sirius, this would be the way to go

Sirius Satellite Radio - e46 3-series/M3 Coupe & Sedan
http://www.europeanautosource.com/product_info.php?products_id=272

While it is more expensive of the two options, this does have 12 months of Sirius programming factored into the price. With the HD DICE and Sirius, you'll run out of miles before you run out of music.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts